_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Looking for an Up Armored HMMWV model
keeleygang
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 08:19 AM UTC
My son and I are looking to build an up armored HMMWV model and are looking for some advice as to where to find a really good kit that is realistic and has all the details. Please point us in the right direction. Also, what is a good size to get?

Thanks for the help
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC
Check out this post: Up Armored Humvee
loudYANK
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 07:26 AM UTC
If you want to skip all the conversions and PEsets, take a look at DMLs 1/72 kits. There are at least 5 different versions of HUMVEES that they offer, and I believe at least two are uparmored versions. These kits are fast and easy with a lot of detail and are fairly cheap in price.
-YANK-
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 07:53 AM UTC
Im not sure of your skill level, but this would be a great opportunity to teach your son about scratch building. You can up armor a Tamiya Humvee (my kit suggestion), pretty easily. You can make almost all the additional armor out of sheet styrene. If you want the full up armored kit, I would suggest the MIG conversion kit and Blast aggressive wheels. Thats about as close as your going to get to the real thing. have fun!
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 08:41 AM UTC
First of all, welcome to Armorama. I hope that we see you around

I second the Mig conversion for 1/35 scale humvees. Be prepared to do a little work for it, but all the patience pays off. But I recommend the Mig tires over the Blast tires. While I haven't personally used either (I plan to change that shortly), everything that I've seen shows that the Mig tires are better. Not only that but the Blast tires have "Gooyear" on the side, instead of "Goodyear" like the Mig tires have. I like the 1/35 size as 1/72 is just too small for something the size of a humvee. The 1/35 itself is less than six inches fully built - you can imagine the size of a 1/72.

Here is my in progress build. Don't expect an update until maybe later this month as I don't get home until Thanksgiving.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/80932#673778

If you have anything else, feel free to ask away. Best of luck.

Jeff
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But I recommend the Mig tires over the Blast tires. While I haven't personally used either (I plan to change that shortly), everything that I've seen shows that the Mig tires are better. Not only that but the Blast tires have "Gooyear" on the side, instead of "Goodyear" like the Mig tires have.
Jeff

HI Jeff. Dont buy the MIG tires. I am using a set right now on a modified M998. Here are my notes on the MIG wheels vs. the Blast wheels.

1) the MIG wheels I have say nothing at all. No "gooyear" or anything.
2) the centers where the hubs go are so thin and full of holes, they very easily break, and you can see that there were casting issues with these tires; more specifically the right ones.
3) The MIG wheels do have the correct tread pattern with the staggered center blocks.

The Blast wheels:
1) they do say "Gooyear" Hey, go figure LOL
2) the tread pattern isnt as good as the MIG wheels, but the differance is almost hardly noticable.
3) the rims are cast perfect versus the MIG wheels which need some work.

Of all the tires I looked at for the Humvee, IMHO, the best ones were actually made by Real Models #RLA35036. Unfortunately, these must be OOP, because while I have seen reviews of them, I cant find them anywhere. Check out Vodniks reviews on the humvee tires.
 _GOTOTOP