_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
I want a new camera with a twist
mstcls
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi All !

Now I know that this has been posted a thousand times but I would like to add a little twist. I am in the market for a new digital camera for taking pictures of my models for posting on the web. What I would like the community at large to do is post a picture or two taken with the camera that you have. The photo should not be edited or manipulated in any way and taken under bench work conditions (no flood lights or filters Ect…). Then list a brief description of the camera and any comments you have. For example

Taken with a Fujifilm A101-1.3 Mega Pixel that is almost 10 years old. The intention of this thread is to actually see what the end result will be with that particular camera.

P.S. This is my first attempt to post a picture. I hope it works!!!!
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 07:41 PM UTC
Heres one taken on the bench under 3 halogenlights and one desk lamp

And one outside under natural light

Taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 using the macro setting. Here is a link to a review explaining the camera.
Lumix FZ20

Hope it helps

Dave
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 383 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 08:54 PM UTC
CANON PowerShot A400
2 regular lightbulbs
Not exactly the kind of models you see on AM but this will do :-)

This little grot is just over 1inch tall

This contraption is about 6.5inch long. The accessories on the side are fromt tamiya so that should give you a good idea of the scale.

NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC
Kodak Easyshare LS633 3.1 mpixel

- side-lit with 2 ordinary desklamps, 60watt bulbs, white sheet background, without flash. 1st one is close-up setting, second is mid-range setting.

Bob

PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC

My M4A3E8 taken with a Samsung L80 Digimax using the macro and sepia settings. 8.1 mega pixels and very good value for money.

Flash turned off with just the dining room light on.

Des
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 08:56 PM UTC
Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D).

Taken under natural light (no additional lightings). High aperture and slow shutter speed. Used a tripod for picture stability.

mstcls
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 03:51 AM UTC
Thanks to all who posted on this thread. It has been a great help in making my decision on a new camera.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
Not to hog the thread, but Mojo, how do you like your camera? We just got that one for the wife...I got her old Sony 2.1 meg.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:13 PM UTC
Picture taken under full sun last summer, manual settings and using a tripod.
I use my trusty Panasonic DMC-FZ20 bought in june 2005. 5-5M pixel, rather good optics -same as Dave above

Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi fellas! Not wanna hijack the thread here. But, what is it that I should look for in a digital camera when it comes to modeling? Which ones do you suggest??

Cheers!
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 03:23 AM UTC
Jan,
My suggestion would be to pick something with a macro feature. If you want to do close ups, that would be the best way to go. Im not sure of your photographic ablities but something thats easy to shoot and not to overly complicated to get set up would be a plus as well. just a few thoughts.

Dave
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:51 AM UTC
Cheers Dave!
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:14 PM UTC
As far as features on a camera go, the macro feature is nice for getting up close and personal. The biggest thing I think you need to look for is a fully manual mode. In full manual mode you can control both the apeture setting (also known as an F stop) and the shutter speed. A picture is nothing more than light and time. The F stop controls the light and the shutter speed controls the time.

If you are wanting to take a nice fully in focus detail shot then you will want to set the F stop as high as you can get it. For the entire shot to be in focus you will want the F stop to be set as high as possible. The only down side to this is the higher the F stop, the smaller the hole is allowing the light in is. So to compensate for the small opening you need to slow down the shutter speed so that the shutter stays open longer to allow in more light. You will need to stabalize your camera somehow when slowing down the shutter speed. Any camera movement with the shutter open will completely mess up your picture.

Believe it or not you can get a beautiful picture without a flash and little ambient light by simply setting your F stop as high as possible and setting the shutter speed to be open for a second or three or four. Play with it you will find a setting that works for you.

So you can start to see why a fully manual mode is recommended for taking good detail shots.

I am a police officer and a crime scene technician. I am one of the leading photographers in my department. If anyone has questions about how to take a specific kind of photo please feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to assist you.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 08:58 PM UTC
Canon Digital Rebel (Gen 1)
55mm lens with ADF on (no flash with indoor lighting)
Pic taken at SCAHMS 2006
Diorama by John Rosengrant

Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 09:26 PM UTC
Thank you very, very much fellas. It's very much appreciated all your help, thank you! That is one awesome diorama Jim, simply outstanding! I hope that he's a member of this community...... :-)
I'll look around to see what kind of digital cameras I find and I'll show them to you...

Edit:What do you think about this SAMSUNG L70 BLACK camera? Would it do a good job?
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 08:38 AM UTC
Fixed lens cameras have their limitations. Whereas cameras with interchangable lens lenses do not. I use a Canon 10D with 4 interchangable lenses. For close-up work you want a Macro lenses with a close focal length and which mean you can get in close and not end up blurry. The macro lens I use will focus down to less than 2" away at high-resolution.
Most fixed lens camaras CAN NOT get very close before the image gets blurry and washed out. Granted camaras like the Caono Rebel, Caono 10D and others are not as cheap as the one you linked, but you get what you pay for.
 _GOTOTOP