_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
WARNING! fake PayPal email
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:16 PM UTC
I just received a very convincing but fraudulent email appearing to come from "[email protected]" saying that the needed to run some security checks on my account and apologizing for the inconvienience. Luckily when I clicked on the link the site did not respond. The link appeared as text like this:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run
But I was actually directed to:
http://cgi-33-paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr-cmd_login-run

Very tricky but as you can see the URL changed from a secure (https) server to an unsecure one on an ENTIRELY different domain.

I have reported this email to paypal.

Jim
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads up Jim!
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 09:03 PM UTC
THANKS FOR THE WARNING JIM - YOUR ON TOP OF THINGS AS ALWAY'S !

"Say " .... you don't think Al Queida is trying to get into the wallets of us Miitary modelers now do ya ???????????? ( LOL ) Then again it might not be a laughing matter !

- ralph
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC
Thanks Jim, I use Paypal a lot and will watch out for this.

Roger
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:14 PM UTC
Good catch - URL's do tell a lot.

Thanks for the heads up.

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:24 PM UTC
Thanks Jim, That could have hurt some of us that do business on the web..STUG
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:41 PM UTC
Much appreciated Jim............ No need to get ripped off more than I already have (let's not go there)
SniperSoldier
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
entire network: 1,638 Posts
KitMaker Network: 825 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 12:04 AM UTC
THANKS JIM
ROBERTO
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 01:22 AM UTC
I just got one too. Funny thing is that the e-mail address the message was sent to is not the e-mail address I have registered with PayPal. This leads me to believe that this stuff is eminating from the modeling board side of the house. Here is the text of the message:
Quoted Text

Subj: Please Update Your Paypal Billing 68652571
Date: 2/11/2003 2:18:46 AM Eastern Standard Time
To: (deleted, but there were many addresses listed, all of them AOL)
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Diese e-Mail wurde aus einem einem Versand-Formular von www.SHK-Vista.de
oder mit einer in Verbindung stehenden Domain von www.SHK-Vista.de versendet.
Absender:
([email protected]),am Dienstag, den 11. Februar 2003 um 08:18:24 Uhr
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

: Dear Paypal Member Case #186387897

We have worked hard to help your Paypal experience be even better.
However, we have to ask aII our members for updatedcorrect biIIing information. PIease be advised this is mandatory. lf we do not get your updated biIIing information, your account wiII be revoked and put under review and may be canceIIed. Before we start we will need you to provide us with your email address and password. To send us that info please visit our Secure Site Paypal Billing Site

In my message, the PayPal Billing Site hyperlinks to http://www.sphosting.com/pay63/pay.html
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 01:35 AM UTC
These fake paypal emails have been floating around for a while. I frequent a couple of sites both for and against paypal (mostly against), and there are always postings about this. From what I understand, paypal has been notified of these spurious emails and says they track them down and get the IP to cancel the spammers/scammers accounts.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:37 AM UTC
This is a bit more confusing because I recently got a legitimate notice from PayPal that they're updating the User Agreement Policy. When you follow the instructions and either accept or reject the new Policy, you can get a random security message to check your login and password. I did a couple of days later...

It didn't link me to a "fake site" but the timing with all the other spurious e-mails happening makes one extra leery.

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
Gunnie,
Was the text of the message like this:

Quoted Text

Dear Paypal Customer,

We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures. Your account has been randomly

selected for this maintenance, and you will now be taken through a series of identity verification pages.

Protecting the security of your Paypal account is our primary concern, and we apologize for any inconvenience

this may cause.

Please confirm your account ownership by entering the information in one of the sections below.

Please Visit:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

and take a moment to confirm your account.

To avoid service interruption we require that you confirm

your account as soon as possible.

Your account will be updated in our system and you may continue using Paypal services without any interruptions.

If you fail to update your account, it will be flagged with restricted status.

Thank you,
The Paypal Staff

----------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run Protect yourself against fraudulent
websites by checking the URL/Address bar every time you log in.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address
cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your Paypal
account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

As you can see this may even be a copy of an actual letter PayPal sends out. The logo header image is even at the top. But as I said the links and the email (PayPal uses the email "[email protected]" for tech/help issues) are wrong.

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:01 AM UTC
Yes - it looks very much like that one - including an "official" PayPal banner at the top. Curiouser and curiouser. The links inside weren't the same, however, as you mentioned in the first post. Mine came from "[email protected]". This is really interesting...

Wish I had caught this thread when it was first posted.

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:21 AM UTC
This might be a long response here - but here's the sequence of events I recently went through with PayPal. Hopefully, those concerned will find it useful in weeding out the fraud from the legitimate. I know I was pretty leery at the way this all started out...

The first contact:

Quoted Text

Date: 12 Feb 2003 07:08:33 -0000
To: Jim Lewis
Subject: Modifications to PayPal's User Agreement

Modifications to PayPal's User Agreement

Dear Jim Lewis,

We wish to inform you that we recently updated and simplified PayPal's User Agreement -- you can read the entire new User Agreement on our website. The primary reasons for doing this update were to:

Re-organize the information into 1) a User Agreement that sets out the basic legal relationship between you and PayPal, and 2) various Policies that set the rules for how the PayPal service works. This reorganization is intended to help you more easily understand your legal rights and obligations and to help you find answers to your questions on our various services more quickly. It also is intended to make the format of our User Agreement more consistent with that of our parent company, eBay.

Update our arbitration clause in order to clarify your dispute resolution alternatives in the event that you have a dispute that cannot be resolved through normal customer service channels.

Since you created an account with PayPal before these revisions were made, you will have 60 days after the next time you log in to PayPal to decide whether to agree to the new User Agreement. You will continue to be governed by the old User Agreement until you agree to the new User Agreement, or until June 4, 2003, whichever comes first. You can still view the old User Agreement on PayPal's site.

If you log in but do not agree to the new User Agreement during the following 60-day period, PayPal will assume that you do not accept the revised User Agreement and prefer not to do business with PayPal. In such circumstances, after providing additional notice, PayPal would have to close the account in question and pay out any existing balance under the terms of the old User Agreement.

Additionally, while PayPal will notify you if your account is likely to be impacted by any future change to a Policy, you can also set your preferences to receive emails of all policy change notices. Simply click here and log in to your account to review your notification preferences.

Sincerely,

The PayPal Team

This PayPal notification was sent to [email protected] to notify you of a recent change to our service. PayPal reserves the right to contact members regarding important product or policy announcements. To modify your notification preferences, go to https://www.paypal.com/PREFS-NOTI and log in to your account. Replies to this email will not be processed.

Copyright© 2003, PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Second Notice. I checked the Site and went in to accept/reject the revised User Agreement. I also changed my password in response to verify the accuracy of my current account information - requested by PayPal. This is the response:

Quoted Text

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:50:01 -0800
To: [email protected]
Subject: PayPal Password Change

The password for Jim Lewis's PayPal account was changed
on February 13, 2003.

If you did not authorize this change, please contact us
immediately using the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/wf/f=ap_default

Thanks for using PayPal!

Note: When you log in to your PayPal account, be sure that the
website's URL always begins with "https://www.paypal.com/".
The "s" in "https" at the beginning of the URL means you are
logging into a secure page. If the URL does not begin with
https, you are not on a PayPal page.

And on the same day:

Quoted Text

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:50:39 -0800
Subject: Your PayPal Account has been Restored

Dear Jim Lewis,

We have completed our review and have restored your account.
Thank you for your patience during this process and for helping
to make PayPal the safest and most trusted online payment solution.

Sincerely,

The PayPal Account Review Department

And the last Message is below. This one was response to a random Security Check request sent to me by PayPal. It came right on the heels of the required User Policy Update.

Quoted Text

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:50:01 -0800
Subject: PayPal Security Question and Answer Change

The security questions and answers for Jim Lewis's PayPal
account were changed on February 13, 2003.

If you did not authorize this change, please contact us
immediately using the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/wf/f=ap_default

Thanks for using PayPal!

Note: When you log in to your PayPal account, be sure that the
website's URL always begins with "https://www.paypal.com/".
The "s" in "https" at the beginning of the URL means you are
logging into a secure page. If the URL does not begin with
https, you are not on a PayPal page.

Gunnie
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
Old fert alert....

I've never trusted PayPal for some reason or another. I've never been there and most likely never will. I've heard to many negatives.... the above being another.

I'm sure that it works for most, but I've had my doubts about jumping on/in.

Just me and my $.02. I'll shuddup now.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC
Paypal's integration with Ebay has made it an incredibly powerful selling/buying tool and I love it. As with any large institution dealing with money they have rules. You need to follow the rules. Those that have trouble with PayPal do not follow the rules. Examples are foreign seller who have not been verified; Paypal has a very stingent qualification process for sellers in some parts of the world in order to provide adequate protection for others.

As with anything, be careful and follow thier advice. PayPal tells you, over and over "We will NEVER ask you for your password except when you sign in." They mean that.

I trust PayPal and they have been great for me... to each his own...
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 06:49 AM UTC
Good eye spotting this scam, Jim, and thanks for the heads-up.

I've been using paypal for several years now without any problems. I believe I saw in one of the posts here that the fake emails ask the user to reply with their passcode? This is a dead giveaway....any legitimate company will never ask you to email a password...they already have it, why would they need you to tell them? Anytime you see that, it's bogus.
Greg
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 08:24 AM UTC
Remember, if you pay with PayPal for an eBay auction and the seller is a verified PayPal user, you will get your money back (up to $200) if the deal somehow goes sour. I was checking up on this since I hadn't received an item I bought on 1 Feb from a place about 2 hours away. I've since contacted the seller, sent him my PayPal payment confirmation e-mail message and he said that it was his fault and he missed this one. He is going to send me the Italeri Avenger, a special gift, and give me free shipping on my next purchase from him (s/h of $7.50 or less).
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 10:50 AM UTC
The thing you have to remember is that PayPal employess do NOT have access to your password, as it resides in an encrypted file deep in their system. If you forget it you are screwed... I have never changed it from the default one they gave me... combo of letters and numbers.

I think Ebay sellers that do not use it (Yes, I know it costs something) are missing out on a good deal. I get my money, in most cases in 2-3 hours. I had to wait almost 2 weeks for money order payments to get here..

Rob is right, too, it also gives you protection.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Ebay sellers that do not use it (Yes, I know it costs something) are missing out on a good deal. I get my money, in most cases in 2-3 hours. I had to wait almost 2 weeks for money order payments to get here

I agree with you. I only seek out auctions that allow me to use PayPal for remittance. I haven't had a seller gripe to me about timely payments - most of the time I pay them before they send me a notice that I won the auction.

I skip all the ridiculous seller auctions with pages of instructions, threats, money order demands, and stuff like that. I'm only interested in getting the goods - fast and simple. PayPal allows me to pay far faster than chasing down some money order...

Gunnie
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 11:52 AM UTC
I have just purchased a really nice 120mm kit I wanted... and the seller only takes paper payments... but I thought before I did it... it is an OOP figure and a great price, so I did it... I really have to want something to go through the money order hassle.
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 12:41 PM UTC
Paypal has been a blessing and a curse as far as i'm concerned.

A blessing for the ease of use it allows in the selling of items.

A curse for the ease of use in the purchasing of items.

Cheers, Michael

ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
I find that PayPal is great when you are shopping across borders. I have had no problems with the service, as yet. Usually, I try and compute the costs for post vs PayPal, and use the more cost effective means. Sometimes, a money order comes out costing less.
 _GOTOTOP