_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Osprey Building Panther and Pz IV, rehashed?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:03 AM UTC
Sorry for the cryptic title..
I see Osprey has a modeling manual on building the Panther and PzIV
Has anyone seen it?

I'm more interested in the Panther parts, are they new content?
Quality builds or is it just a bunch of rehased old articles... like the Kalmbach book with the old old old Panther A article?

I'm an intermediate modeler, I took a couple of Panthers with a kitchen sinks worth of aftermarket to AMPS last year and did well. I'm not trying to brag, but I almost did well enough in my first year in intermediate to get a gold and move up. I already have a shelf of Panther references, I'm trying to decide if this one is worth the $$

I know the Tiger book was good, but had listed some OOP accessories, like Anvil sets.

Anyone seen it? Thoughts?

Mike
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry for the cryptic title..
I see Osprey has a modeling manual on building the Panther and PzIV
Has anyone seen it?

I'm more interested in the Panther parts, are they new content?
Quality builds or is it just a bunch of rehased old articles... like the Kalmbach book with the old old old Panther A article?

I'm an intermediate modeler, I took a couple of Panthers with a kitchen sinks worth of aftermarket to AMPS last year and did well. I'm not trying to brag, but I almost did well enough in my first year in intermediate to get a gold and move up. I already have a shelf of Panther references, I'm trying to decide if this one is worth the $$

I know the Tiger book was good, but had listed some OOP accessories, like Anvil sets.

Anyone seen it? Thoughts?

Mike

I have the Opsrey Scale Armor II book that combines the Panther and PzKfw IV books. I got it from the Military Book Club, it goes for $22+s/h but for some reason I had a $24 credit so I got it for $2.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 02:35 AM UTC
Rob,
That's the one.
How is it? Is it worth the mil book club price ?
( have no credit with them..)

Anything new and spectacular in there?

Mike
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC
I was thumbing through the Tiger book (#13) and the PzKfw IV one at the local Barnes & Nobel. I liked them both but didn't want to pay $18 a piece for them. I bought the Tiger one since I had recalled that the Panther and PzKfw IV were available as a combined issued through MBC. I didn't get the combined Sherman/Tiger one since I already had the Sherman issue.

I don't have many references on German tanks so it looks good to me. I also don't have the magazine that these build articles may have come from. Since single copies run $18, the $22 price tag seemed like a good deal to me.
 _GOTOTOP