TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Enterprise - What a missed opportunity...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 01:37 PM UTC
We're getting Enterprise repeated on the Sci-Fi Channel at the moment and i'm taking the opportunity to watch the episodes of Season Two that I missed. What a pity. The first season was a touch 'naff' with some pretty predictable story lines (although watchable) the second (and I believe the last) on the other hand is around 150% better. First contact with the Borg was a particular highlight

Really is a pity that they didn't keep going with this one and spent more than (apparently) $200 per episode. It really could have become a classic....
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC
True, very true! That was the one Sci-Fi Show I ever really watched. Unfortunately, I only get cable at college, so thats when I get to watch the reruns...it's nice! Thanks for your time!
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 490 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 05:10 AM UTC
Well, I thought it was a missed opportunity for a different reason. I didn't like how the writers leaned on the crutches of previous Star Treks. This series was supposed to happen BEFORE all of them. There should be no Borg. Did Q show up? I don't remember. I didn't want any time travel or parallel universe stuff. I wanted it to be about the start of Starfleet and the Federation. Instead I got the same stuff they had in TNG, DS9, and Voyager.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 04:30 AM UTC
I for one was hoping this one would have made it. I appreciated their attempts to follow the so-called Trek canon, but there were other times that they blatantly disregarded it (the ship, for one...) and came up with stuff that made little sense. The entire temporal cold war thread could have been deleted in favour of some more encounters with the races we came to love in the orginal series. I would have liked to know how we got to where we were with Kirk, Spock and the rest instead of the Xindi and the Suliban. I wanted more of how the Klingons and the Federation got into it and the so-called first encounters with the Romulans. The early years of the Federation and it's newborn stumblings would have been more interesting than cliche time travel stories.

I liked the catsuit though.......
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 08:09 AM UTC
My sentiments exactly, Bob. I always thought that ST:E had a golden opportunity to fill in the blanks between First Contact and TOS. To my mind they blew it. They could have developed the Vulcan / Human relationships, the birth of Starfleet, and many other potential story lines. I thought that we had a glimmer of this with the first episodes that involved the Klingons... but I guess not.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 08:25 AM UTC
The sure sign that a sci fi show is on the way out is when they start pulling the time travel card to keep the storyline moving along..
A sign of poor writing and no imagination.

It was all downhill from there.

Babylon 5 ALMOST pulled it off, Stargate SG1 has not overused it.. but came close.

Voyager blew it big time with the 'temporal prime directive' drek..
My US$0.02

Mike
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 07:16 PM UTC
I thought they should have worked on the beginnings of the Romulan War from TOS. They seemed too advanced compared to the non-warp capable Romulans that Kirk first battled.

It didn't keep me from buying all four seasons on DVD though.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The first season was a touch 'naff' with some pretty predictable story lines (although watchable) the second (and I believe the last)

Jim,
It will actually go for another 2 seasons (4 total). Actually I thought the later seasons were much improved. And 4 seasons is not exactly a failed show. Just bad by recent ST standards.

Cheers,
Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And 4 seasons is not exactly a failed show. Just bad by recent ST standards.

Now, where exactly why did I get the idea there were only two seasons? Four does sound a lot more promising - maybe the Zindi masks get better

I still say that the WORST act of vandalism by the Networks was pulling Dark Skies - truly one of the great 'Never had a chancers'
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC
I guess I missed something good then? Big disadvantage when you drive a truck OTR
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 01:34 PM UTC
Bill, Dark Skies was the ultimate in Conspiracy Theory series. Beginning in the early 1960s during the Kennedy administration, it dealt with war against Alien infiltration and had such favorites as 'Majestic' - some of the episodes were actually VERY good indeed. Unfortunately, it was against X-Files which won the ratings battle so it was pulled.. It's available on DVD and well worth investing in - great stuff!
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 08:34 PM UTC
Dark Skies started to really get going when Jeri Ryan joined the show as the Russian agent..... I was looking forward to more episodes with her when they cancelled it....pity. It was a very intelligent offering altogether IMHO.

I disagree about the poster that mentioned the Borg appearing in Enterprise. I thought this tied in the events of the First Contact movie quit nicely. I always wondered what happend to the Borg ship after Picard and Data were through with it....

Bob