TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Has "The Unit" jumped the shark?
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 02:05 AM UTC
I've been enjoying, (for the most part) the show about the Delta Force called The Unit. A few things somewhat irritating, but for the most part very entertaining.

Until this week's show.

It was bad enough to me as a retired senior officer to see the earlier story line which had the Colonel sleeping with the wife of one of the NCO's. But this week I wonder if they didn't "jump the shark". Not only is this same wife appearing to be ready to sleep with a peacnik straight out of the 60's, but the final story line involved a love letter from a soldier killed in the Battle of the Bulge and didn't get delivered, which everyone thought was to his wife, "Midge", but at the end it turns out that "Midge" was another fellow MALE soldier.

I thought the show was a pretty decent look at Special Ops, but now it seems like it's towing the Hollywood party line.

Anybody else have the same reaction?

Tom
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 02:38 AM UTC
I thought "the Unit" was going to be different. But the last episode took me aback.

The wife of the one soldier ready for another affair? An episode or two back she and her man were trying for a boy. Now it looks like the she ready to jump the hippy.

The whole Battle of the Bulge KIA, never posted a final letter to 'Midge'. Kind of a backhanded condoning of gays in the military?

The illegal still - brewing moonshine?

The "Units" secret - a cash stash made up from ill gotten gains - like swiping diamonds destined to fund terrorism - in case one of them "has to disappear?"

I hope this was a one time thing.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 02:39 AM UTC
I'm sometimes extremely happy I don't watch that much TV, especially anything on the major networks.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 02:59 AM UTC
For my money, this show The first show. Looked like Desperate Housewives of Delta Force.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 03:46 AM UTC
Al hit it on the head, at least from my viewpoint. I never watched it because the commercials alone looked exactly as he described, a Delta Force version of Desperate Housewives.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hey, at least it is better then that stupid "OVER THERE!"
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been enjoying, (for the most part) the show about the Delta Force called The Unit. A few things somewhat irritating, but for the most part very entertaining.

Until this week's show.

It was bad enough to me as a retired senior officer to see the earlier story line which had the Colonel sleeping with the wife of one of the NCO's. But this week I wonder if they didn't "jump the shark". Not only is this same wife appearing to be ready to sleep with a peacnik straight out of the 60's, but the final story line involved a love letter from a soldier killed in the Battle of the Bulge and didn't get delivered, which everyone thought was to his wife, "Midge", but at the end it turns out that "Midge" was another fellow MALE soldier.

I thought the show was a pretty decent look at Special Ops, but now it seems like it's towing the Hollywood party line.

Anybody else have the same reaction?

Tom

So I guess stuff like thiis never happens? Come on it happens more than people let on. As for the story about the soldiers in the war why couldn't that have happened? Just my two cents
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 01:28 PM UTC
Hmmm... I guess i'm coming in a bit late with this. They've only started broadcasting this one on the Fox Channel here, so we're only at about chapter 5 of the first season...

The 'Desperate Housewives' comment is a good analogy, although personally speaking, i'm a huge fan of the original - this does seem like a pretty feeble copy . In fairness i'm going to give the Unit another few episodes although, it has to be said, i'm not particularly convinced. It's watchable, and has a good basic idea, however, it'd been nice if they'd spent a 'little' more on the production. It does tend to look a bit on the cheap side... :-)
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, at least it is better then that stupid "OVER THERE!"

Amen to that! That show was beyond horrid and IMO, was an insult to our troops.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
They need to eliminate all the women in that show in a mini-van crash
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
I guess I am in complete disagreement with everyone here. In my perspective, "Over There" was a far superior show. It focused on the soldiers that are in Iraq. Iraq has shown to be a very very confused and mismanaged war by all accounts and I got this feel from the characters and the situations they are in.

I have watched "The Unit" for the past 6 weeks or so and come to the conclusion that it is a pure Hollywood depiction of what they think of a Delta Force type unit. It is also way to wifee-poo oriented. It is almost a chick show. The Colonel sleeping with one of his SGT's wives???!!!! That is just totally horendous to me. Personally, I am a bit perplexed why this show didn't get cut last year, and in my opinion one that was well acted and had a wonderful storyline , Commander in Chief " got cut.

Oh and for whatever it is worth....I got recruited by the Delta Force in 1991 and turned them down.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 11:38 PM UTC
Howdy fellas,

I too watched this show at the beginning, and was pleased.......in the beginning. Some of the original story points I thought tried to convey to the uninitiated some of the special team values and balances employed by men in that situation.
But of course, Hollywood wont leave well enough alone.......hence, we have 'Midge'. Not that this particular issue doesn't maybe deserve attention {wanna make sure I'm P.C. }, but after setting the stage for a rather poignant and powerful arrival of a message from the past, we are served up a real di-crescendo and the writers have pissed all over the 'stage'.
But then, what do I know? I'm not a high paid Hollywood writer who is empowered with the ability to anticipate what people like.

Tread.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
I missed the "midge" episode...Guess I'm pretty happy about that. This is just keeping in with what is currently "HIP" same sex love. I guess I am sadly out of style here. I'm still trying to get over men putting rings through their noses and everyplace else. :-) :-)