History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
orders of battle
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 02:03 AM UTC
I would like to know if there is a web site that shows the orders of battle for different battles. A one stop shop so to speak. I am interested to find which Marine Divisions / regiments fought at which battes during the Pacific war. I have a multiple book history of WW2 (the Time -LIfe series, Ballantine World War 2 series and multiple books on several of the battles) but don't want to research a dozen or so books to find this information as it is just an out of curiousity level, not a research level to me.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 02:10 AM UTC
I've often want to know the same kind of information, and it seems that since a limited audience is ever intrested in something like OOB, it's often difficult to find, even in well written books about specific battles. Comprehensive lists covering periods of time are hard to find. I've got some limited stuff about both WW II and Vietnam OOB for the Army, but I don't know that it goes into a lot of the attachments/cross attachments that happen for specifc operations which are a big part of the interest in the subject for me.

If you find something, let me know too.

Tom
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 08:19 AM UTC
Steve,

USMC History site ... Here is link to Publications page:
http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/General/Publications.htm
Select the top entry, Historical from 1920 to Present and have at it ...

There are three Osprey books, Battle Orders series, all by Gordon Rottman -- US Marine Corps Pacific Theater of Operations, XX-YY where XX-YY are 1941-43, 1943-44, 1944-45

Let me recommend ABE (www.abebooks.com) as the place to go when you want to find references ....

John
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC
Steve have a look at the PTO section of the US section in the Allied Resource Centre .
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
Well, some good stuff indeed, but to get what I want, it just may be easier to consult my books as it seems to take about as much time looking through the documents on the internet as it does pulling the books out and looking at the Order's of battle posted in them. Did bookmark some of the stuff though for future reference, so all was not in vain
Bonjr
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 07:18 PM UTC
Maybe this website could help?

http://niehorster.orbat.com/index.htm