Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Internet Explorer 7.0 Preliminary Review
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC
Semi-review/rant here on the new Internet Explorer 7.0 browser, an upgrade from IE 6.0. This is NOT an endorsement, promotion, or suggestion to upgrade to IE 7.0, nor do I work for Microsoft or was asked to do this.

NOTE: This doesn't appear to be a BETA version of IE 7.0, but the actual final release. It should be free from Microsoft.

Having upgraded, my first impressions are: What did Microsoft do to the toolbar? Now the HOME, STOP, REFRESH, PRINT, HISTORY, and additonal graphical command icons are small! How small are the IE 7 command icons? They're as small as the emoticons on Armorama! Geez, there's all this dead "bar" space in the middle. Gone are the FILE, TOOLS, HELP, FAVORITES, and other textual drop-down commands on the top. (I wonder if Windows Vista will be like this). Worst off, I can't move any of the toolbars around...they're fixed with the icons crowding the right and left sides and the middle free of info or commands. I wonder who came up with this simplified GUI. It's going to take some getting used too because its so simple and minimalistic. The locations of the icons and drop-down menus associated with them have moved (all except the BACK and FORWARD buttons...and remember, you can't move them back to how they were in IE 6.0).

The toolbar structure from Top to Bottom:
* URL window: (BACK, FORWARD, URL window, Search Engine Window)
* Internet Security Commands (if you have any Anti-Virus or Firewall Protection software)
* IE 7 icon commands (Favorites icon, Add to Favorites icon, Window tab (Modelgeek here), Home icon, Update website icon, Print icon, Page icon, Tools icon).
* Bottom of window status bar: Phishing filter, Options icon, Zoom icon

The good news is that everything looks much clearer. The text, type, graphics, and colors are vivid and vibrant...much more friendly to the eyes than IE 6.0. It's a feature Microsoft calls "ClearType" and IMO works pretty well. Whereas IE 6.0 looked like inkjet text where one can see the tiny dots of the letters on the screen, IE 7.0 looks more like laser-printed text.

The zoom factor on bottom right is nice. One can zoom the browser window from 50 to 400%. And the phishing scanner is a nice feature to ensure you're on the official webpage and not some phony. Turning on phishing filter does slow down webpage download time somewhat. I also found that webpages fit the confines of the screen a lot better...no more scrolling left and right.

The javascript commands are streamlined now. The laughing, rocking, shooting, swearing, waving, sunny, and other moving emoticons are really moving smoothly and fast now! :-)

So in summary, I say IE 7.0 is a mixed bag. The actual window content looks great. I don't have to lean forward and squint anymore at 100% zoom factor to read some content. But the IE 7.0 interface is so small, I have to lean forward to see and read the commands. I don't like the tiny icons IE 7 gives and prefer the larger icons in IE 6.0.

SIDENOTE: The reason why I upgraded to IE 7.0 is simple: The newer the browser, the more security features one gets. Just like the newer the car, the more safety features that come standard. Microsoft has a habit of only upgrading and supporting its newest software versions, so IMO, it pays to stay state-of-the-art. And besdies, IE 7 is free . If you're happy with IE 6.0, then I see no real need to upgrade to IE 7 because with IE 7, the GUI gets condensed. If you have a hard time reading from IE 6 and would like the ZOOM feature, or additional search engines (Yahoo, Lycos, Google, AOL, etc) and the latest security and upgrade features, then upgrading to IE 7 may be worthwhile).
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
Nice review. Just remember that 7.0 and Vista are planned to go hand in hand and soon enough 6.0 will be completely outmoded and everyone will have to go to 7.0. I am not sure if Vista will have smaller buttons but I would hope that there are enough complaints that an upgrade will come out.
markm
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
I just upgraded my home computer to IE 7. I have to say, I kinda like it. At the same time I went from dial up to high speed wireless. The difference is incredible.
Removed by original poster on 11/02/06 - 02:32:56 (GMT).
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:34 AM UTC
It's different. I'll need just more time to use it and I'm sure I'll like it more.

I just discovered the TAB feature, which allows you to see all the multiple IE windows you open on one screen so that you can click on the window you want. Now that's nice because in IE 6, one had to minimize the windows since they were stacked on top of each other. Now with IE 7, just click the tab like folders in a filing cabinet to see the new window.

I say IE 7 is faster in downloading too. The java codes are leaner and meaner now.

I guess over time, one doesn't even use the broswer commands, which is why Microsoft decreased their size.

I rarely, if ever, uninstall new software versions anyway, whether I like it or not. Who doesn't like new stuff ?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:47 AM UTC
I started using the Beta version of 7 about 2-3 months ago, so I can't really speak for the final release. But quite frankly I wasn't impressed. MS really aren't doing anything new that Mozilla and Opera have been doing for a few releases already. Speaking of Mozilla though, I was equally unimpressed with Firefox 2.0. I think I had it installed for less than a day before I decided to go back to Mozilla 1.7.8.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC
Tried 7, useless clumsy menus, slow; went back to 6 with a good firewall. I may be a dinosaur but I want quick & easy programs to use, high tech ain't me!!
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Wasn't able to download 7 as my operating system is too old!

Jeff
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 04:04 AM UTC
Gave up on I.E. when Firefox came out - Run FF2 at work and Trusty 1.5.0.7 at home. Have to use ie 7 for my web based solution at work - but made sure it looks good in FF as well.

Andy
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 05:44 PM UTC
Well I have dial-up, I was going to upgarde, then i saw it was like a 16 meg download. I thought ---Forget it!, How do they expect people with dialup to upgrade, that would take all day, no thanks

05Sultan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 08:30 PM UTC
So where did they put FILE,TOOLS,FAVORITES,etc.?If gone altogether,where would your current favorites go?
cheers(I think)
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 09:18 PM UTC
I've just down loaded FF2, and first impresions are not so good. Very slow to display the pages.
I.E is inbetween, but I find my AOL brouwser quickest of the three. Now that I have a new computer (with a lot more storage and memory ) I might start looking for something different, but to be honest, Aol does the job so far.

Cheers
Henk
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I have dial-up, I was going to upgarde, then i saw it was like a 16 meg download. I thought ---Forget it!, How do they expect people with dialup to upgrade, that would take all day, no thanks

You can write to Microsoft and they'll send you IE 7.0 on a CD free. All you need to do is pay shipping to where you live.

Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So where did they put FILE,TOOLS,FAVORITES,etc.?If gone altogether,where would your current favorites go?
cheers(I think)

I was thinking the same thing :-)! Press ALT and those text commands show up. Press ALT again and they disappear. I learned that by a finger-slip. :-)

The FAVORITES is now the gold star icon below the BACK button.
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC
Never bothered using IE 6.0 except in an emergency. From what i've seen of IE 7.0 the thing's too full of natty little graphics and the usual OT Microsoft complications.
I couldn't care less about reading the xtramsn stuff -as far as I'm concerned it's just extra clutter.
I'll stick with Opera 9.0 and use Mozilla as a backup. Once I get browsing via Opera and Linux Ubuntu, I'll be even happier.