_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Ajax Ontario Show Motivates Me!
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
Hi guys. I went to the Ajax show yesterday and want to thank everyone involved for a job well done!

There were some great entries.

Fine Scale Modeler was there taking pictures for a future issue.

Unfortunately my digital camera is on the fritz but I'm sure we will see some pics from some of the great entries there!

One of the most exciting things I saw was a shadow box done of frogmen examining a sunken Sherman. One of the retailers told me it recently won best in show in Chicago.

As for retail tables, lots of armour and wing thingies but since I recently placed a big on line order I was "shut out" for purchases. (But it pleased my wife who also had a great time)

There was a small-scale resin base manufacturer who had some interesting stuff for dios. I am going to place an order for it and review it soon.

The culinary course students from the high school put on a nice lunch buffet. Hey, that pleased my wife too

Congrats to all the entrants. Well done!

Michael
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC
Glad to hear it was a good time. I was going to go right up to Friday night but just couldn't swing it. It was my turn to take my 9 month old son to his swimming lesson Saturday morning (and no model show no matter how great will make me miss that) and I had to be home for a hockey game last night.. So I ran out of time.

Ah well I will save my money to be spent this weekend at the hobby show in Toronto!

:-)

Jeff

wascally
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 21 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 10:31 AM UTC
I went and it was a very good show, well organised and a lot of fun.

The shadowbox was pretty cool. There was also a desert dirorama of an Italian light tank being pursued by Bedouin in the 1920's which was above and beyond what you normally see. It didnt seem to be entered, just being displayed. So i dont know any details on it, but it looked so realistic the tank was displayed in such a fashion you would sware it was moving fast to get away.

I entered my first figure in the intermediate class, figured since I'm new to figures I could. I also entered a wingy thing too.

I also picked up a box of tamiya british soldiers for $2. I'm going to use them to practice converting figures.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:28 PM UTC
I managed to pick up a number of goodies at the Ajax show. The standard of modelling was quite high and I know that I wll make sure I go back again next year!

Darryl
bwildfong
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 17 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The shadowbox was pretty cool. There was also a desert dirorama of an Italian light tank being pursued by Bedouin ...i dont know any details on it, but it looked so realistic the tank was displayed in such a fashion you would sware it was moving fast to get away.

Ray,

The Bedouin diorama you're referring to was built by Mr. Douglas Lee, one of the country's (since he now lives in Canada, originally from South Korea) best modellers - that diorama recently won Gold at Euromilitaire and did well at Chicago as well. It's usual that Doug will simply drop in at Ajax with one of his incredibly creative dioramas without entering it and stay for a bit to chat (he's extremely friendly and approachable) - he has also been known to drop in at our Guelph (Well*Co*Me) show too.

Cheers,

Brian
 _GOTOTOP