_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Help with Chrome touch ups
fish1642
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 89 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 05:51 PM UTC
Instead of my normal aircraft models I decided to have a go at building a truck. Trouble is it has loads of pre painted Chrome parts which when cut or filed leave grey plastic underneath. Silver paints don't cover it well so does anyone have any advice on how I can touch up these areas or do I need to take it to a local garage for a re-spray.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC
Easiest way to do it, if you can get the paint is to take all the chrome parts, clean up all the points the sprue was attached to, any mold lines and sink holes.

Then go get your self some ammonia, or windex with ammonia, Castrol Super Clean, anything that can be used to strip the chrome off of the parts. Straight Ammonia works great, but you have to be very careful of the fumes and such, as they can be really nasty.

Once all the parts are stripped, cleaned and dryed, spray them gloss black. Once that is dryed, spray them with Alclad Chrome paint. The Alclad can be used in the AB right out of the bottle, no thinning needed.

Once the Alclad is dry, you will have brand new chromed parts, and for the most part, will look even better than the stock chrome that came on them!!
fish1642
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 89 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:04 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice. Trouble is I have built most of the model now and it destroy it trying to remove the chrome parts now. Oh well we live and learn. I'll stick to planes from now on I think.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:48 AM UTC
I think bleach will strip it too. The alclad system is incredible
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 08:49 PM UTC

Theres always Bare Metal Foil. Smooth out the flaw and cover it with a small piece of Bright Chrome BMF.

Good luck,
Cuhail
 _GOTOTOP