_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Stripping your model
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:42 AM UTC
I would like to know how do you and or is the best way to strip old paint off your model without ruining the model itself??
EMT5911
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hi Jody. Although I've never actually attempted it someone recently told me that spray on oven cleaner and a tooth brush (hard bristle) works pretty good. He also told me that make sure you spray it and clean it out side in the best ventilation.

Z.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 01:33 AM UTC
Oven Cleaner or little more expensive method "Liquid Wrench" also works well, Liquid Wrench will also debond most of the glue, if that is what you have in mind.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
entire network: 1,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 01:54 AM UTC
Other way to do it is to dip the whole kit in the brake fluid, works for me Debonds the thick Academy type glue, I dont know what it does with thinner ones though.

Greg
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 02:27 AM UTC
Simple NaOH solution. It doesn't damage the plastic.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
The most effective, safest and non-toxic way to remove paints whether it’s enamel, acrylic or oils and they’ve been on two months or two years is to use Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean. Both can be bought at any Auto Supply store, Home Shopping Centers. There have been a few members here out side the United States that used similar products, off hand I do not recall the brands names. I sure one or two will chime in with a name or two. Also these products will not harm, melt, distort or misshapen the model kit at all. It’s also safe on all your clear parts.

People, oven cleaners are harmful and toxic, so are the other few that are mentioned. The most you’ll endure from using Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean is maybe a dry hand and it’s odor is nothing but a pleasant minty smell. For those who maybe be more sensitive, I suggest using rubber gloves.

Simple to use…get a gallon, costs around $4-6 bucks. Get yourself a container throw in model and pour in the contents, be sure to submerge the model in the liquid. Now there has been times when this stuff worked within 20 minutes, and at times I’ve waited up to a day. While it sits soaking find yourself an old toothbrush or maybe a small old stiff paintbrush, I like the toothbrush better…it’s up to you to find what’s works best. I’d say after a few hours, start brushing of the old paint, you’ll be amazed how this stuff really works and fast. Also this stuff has soap in it. So after you have removed the paint, jus run under warm water to wash and clean up. It’s that simple. If you find that it needs a second soaking…go ahead, no harm will come.

Another fine feature using this stuff is that it’ll remove chrome plating from your model kits as well. Just follow the same instruction as above.

Once you have finished removing and cleaning your kit, just pour back the cleaning fluid back into it’s bottle and save for the next paint removal project.

Something else I use it for. About every 3-4 months I’ll take out my hobby paint brushes and soak them a bit, this will help clean up the brush a bit more. Also I’ll pour some on my work bench, it’s just to clean up some of the old dry paints left from drips or drops.

Again this stuff really works, ah, ask Merlin…see he did a article (post) on it awhile back. I can’t seem to find it, maybe if he sees this he’ll post it or comment about it. He explains that he soaked a canopy that had paint on it for over two years, he saw that I had mentioned about these brands and he had sought out something similar. He had soaked the canopy and wiped of the old paint with out any problems.

Any questions, I’d be happy to answer.

Joe
FichtenFoo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
I've got an untested method I want to test out for stripping Tamiya Acrylics from some old Gundam kits. As we all know, 91% alcohol will eat Tamiya away fairly easily. A friend of mine has an ultrasonic cleaner so I gave him an old kit I took apart which is at the moment soaking in a sherbert tub of alcohol. It's eaten away most of it except for beneath decals and in crevases. I'm hoping the ultrasonic cleaner removes all the paint and leaves the plastic intact. I'll let you all know.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 06:23 AM UTC
Bleche White tire cleaner works very well on acrylics. Spray it on and the paint comes right off....with minimal scrubbing.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP