_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
New PE Tool Idea
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 03:52 AM UTC
I started bending the PE for my Jeep using my homemade bending tool (my first experience with PE). It works pretty well. But I got the idea for a new tool. When you fold a box out of PE, you get a butt joint, which can leave a gap and looks unattractive. beveling the the edges to make a miter joint is slow and risky. So I got an idea for a device to precisely hold PE parts so that you can create a 45-degree miter using a diamond lap file. I'm trying to finish the basic design in aluminum and then I'll add stainless steel faces for durability. I wanted to get it done this weekend, but unfortunately a computer crash and my tax return are pushing it further out.

-Neil
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
Sounds interesting. Hope it works out.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 05:34 AM UTC
Neil,
your invention incorporates at least five words in English I cannot translate.
In other words : that idea might just do the trick !
Good luck !
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 11:56 AM UTC
That's not Neil....it's Mr. Wizard!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 09:07 AM UTC
Neil,
Hows the tool coming?

Matt
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hows the tool coming?

I've got two prototypes built using different principles. One is better for small pieces and the other is better for large pieces. They work great for beveling the edges of cardstock, but I need to do a lot of testing in brass (the larger of the two prototypes I designed specifically for use with cardstock models). The problem is that for long-term use in brass, I need to face the edges in stainless steel -- it may take me a while to get around to it and I want to work out any bugs first. I have an idea for a third prototype if the first two don't work out.

I've been making a couple of mechanical paperweights out of brass for family members and it's been diverting a lot of modeling time. One of them is now finished, and I'm gradually ramping up the PE work for my jeep, so I hope "the bevelers" will get a lot of testing soon. I also finished the barrel and most of the breech block for my 1/15 M18 in brass, as well as one leg and footpad for the tripod. I hope to make the tripod actually fold, swivel, etc. Attaching the breech block so that it actually opens an closes is still defeating my ingenuity (see related thread on resistance soldering!

I'll try to post pictures of the bevelers and my PE bender.

-Neil
 _GOTOTOP