_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Iwata Custom Micron
shooterman
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 65 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 08:57 PM UTC
I think my Iwata HPC has just about given up the ghost.

I was wondering if the Custom Micron really is worth the extra expense of should I just buy another HPC?
little-cars
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hi,

Firstly, you could get your brush serviced, Iwata brushes bought in the UK carry a five year guarentee, so your brush may still be covered by this.

If you think it's not worth it, I would say look at the Hi-line range.
The HP range has now been deleted and replaced by the HP-Plus & Hi-line. the Hi-line range has an extra fine pressure regulator (MAC valve) on the brush.

The HP-CH is the brush with the large cup, and comes with a 0.3mm needle set as standard. If you are looking for a fine detail brush you could look at the HP-BH which has the small 1.8ml top cup, but has a 0.2mm needle set as standard. The HP-BH can be upgraded to the 0.2mm needle set for about £40 (I think)

The Hi-line range is about 60% of the price of the Custom Micron.

The standard custom micron brush (CM-C) has a 0.23mm matched needle set. From memory this means it has to go away to have the needle set replaced. The spares are also about twice the price of the hi-line.

From my recent sales I would say the HP-BH is the most popular brush at the top of the range with the Eclipse ECL-CS the most popular for general and large areas.

Paul
little-cars.com

ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:50 PM UTC
I have a HP-C and a HP-C plus that I really love but I needed a gun to do fine detail work. A member of my local model club brought a Tamiya HG SF to a meeting and demoed it. At the latest meeting he brought a Faun with a Leopard that he painted with the Tamiya. The free hand camo was impressive. I just ordered a Tamiya from Tower Hobbies for $115.00. Here is a web site with a Tamiya review:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/other/tamair/tamair.htm

According to the review the Iwata and Tamiya are manufactured by the same company.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:04 AM UTC
Get it serviced, from the quality of the manufacture I would think that most things can be sorted out. Like any quality bit of kit, it does need a little attention as things wear.

John
shooterman
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 65 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hmmmmm!!!!

Starting to think about getting the Iwata serviced and buying a Tamiya superfine for detail work!
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:27 AM UTC
An HP-CP can do a 1/16 line, how much finer do you need it? Are you doing mottled camo on a 1/144th BF109?
 _GOTOTOP