Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Disney kits - why so expensive
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 05:27 PM UTC
Ebay List

Can someone try to shed some light on why these Disney Pirates of the Caribbean kits sell for so much? They start low and jump to over $50 - $75.
My first thought was that they are rare, but I see them listed almost every other day.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 05:37 PM UTC
No clue Scott but I do remember building that kit when I was a kid. Built the "Forgotten Prisoner" too but I am not sure if that was in the same line or not...

Shaun
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 05:38 PM UTC
Its Johnny Depp's fault.

I would assume they have become a hot commodity due to the movies which have been huge box office hits.

Jeff
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 06:29 PM UTC
The Forgotten Prisoner was part of Aurora's monster figure line. The Pirates of the Caribbean line was made by MPC. I had most of them as a kid. They were rubberband powered and with a flick they would perform some movement like the Disney ride.

They are probably valuable because of the collectability. They were never reissued and fit into several collectors categories like Disney, old kits or POTC film fans.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:04 AM UTC
They are expensive because just about everything from Disney is expensive. If they are liscenced items, then they too will be expensive.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They are expensive because just about everything from Disney is expensive. If they are liscenced items, then they too will be expensive.

These kits are 30 years old and were not expensive when they first came out. I agree that if a model company produced Disney movie models today, the price would be relatively high compared to a model of a non-Disney product.

The licensing arguement is not a factor for these old kits.