Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Do you support your local Hobby Shop?
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hi everyone....It seems to me that everytime a LHS opens in the area it doesn't last very long.
We don't have a Hobby Lobby anywhere in this state and the nearest Hobbytown USA is 50 miles away.

There is a an independent LHS about 30 minutes away. He has one of the best selections of Military, Aircraft and Ships I have ever seen in a hobby shop...EVER..but I have a problem going there. This is my problem...His prices are astronomical!

I want to support him but he has a huge markup...way over the MSRP.
sometimes $10.00 to $15.00.

I can get my stuff from the internet so much cheaper (that's including shipping and handling). But i feel guilty knowing this great shop is only a short distance away.
I do always buy something..even if it's an old Italeri kit (which are reasonably priced).

I want to see this guy succeed but I don't want to put his kids through college by buying one kit!

I feel some kits are way over priced anyway..then adding insult to injury..adding 20% to the MSRP.

I don't know if I should talk to the owner...who is a great guy...and risk ruining our friendship by telling him these kits aren't made of gold...or just go on buying the paints and cheap kits while keeping my mouth shut (which most people say I should do anyway).

I would hate to see this shop go out of business as it's the only one around. If it does it will be his fault.

How much do you use your LHS for your kit and accessory purchases? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Jeff

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 05:44 PM UTC
Local is about an hour and half away for me. It is a chain hobby shop and of the help isn't really that helpful so I only go about twice a year. If I had a decent local shop I would shop there.
We had a local shop that catered to train guys. I would get my diorama supplies there.
He had one military plastic model that was about twice what it was online. I don't know if his train stuff was marked up that much or not but he lasted about two years and is now out of business.

Shaun
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 05:52 PM UTC
I try to frequent the local place in Barrie.. But he is mostly RC stuff, which is a shame cuz the guy I talk to knows his stuff.. For the most part, what I buy the price on the net or at the shop are the same...

For me there is something about going to the shop to poke around... Northstar Hobbies in Toronto is a great place.. They make sure you get the help you need but will leave you to look around untill you are ready..

Dave
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 06:25 PM UTC
I visit the really good hobby store once a month. It is 40 miles away and located near my IPMS club. That's when I visit. His prices are reasonable and he gives a 10% club discount.

There is another local shop that has old stuff on sale from estate sales. I probably go about once a month as well. It's around 25 miles away. His new stuff is MSRP and kind of high. The estate stuff is dirt cheap.

I probably go more often to the Hobby Lobby because the wife likes to go too. It is about 30 miles away and normally has a decent selection of clearance kits. The regular 40% off coupons or %-off sales make it worthwhile to visit, but their regular retail prices are high.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC
I would support the local hobby shop if I had one. (What part of the start is this shop in? Been trying to find one someplace out here. My Wallmart even stopped selling supplies)

I would ask the guy about the prices. Just do it nicely. Who knows you may be able to get the prices a little lower.
And even if there prices are high its better then not having one around and having to order off line. Trust me you’ll know if you ever run out of glue or a color of paint In the middle of a project and need to wait a week or 2 to have it shipped out.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
Fortunatley I have two hobby shops within 2 miles of my house, they have been around since the 1950's. Unfortunatly, they are also high priced, so its nice to look but if I do buy, its usually paint. but thats it. I do see older modelers still buying kits there tho.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I try to frequent the local place in Barrie.. But he is mostly RC stuff, which is a shame cuz the guy I talk to knows his stuff.. For the most part, what I buy the price on the net or at the shop are the same...

For me there is something about going to the shop to poke around... Northstar Hobbies in Toronto is a great place.. They make sure you get the help you need but will leave you to look around untill you are ready..

Dave

Dave, it seems that you, Jeff and I frequent Ideal Hobbies and Dave is a great guy. I also find their model prices are the same or lower than "down south" and they will order anything you want. Like any hobby store though, they don't and I wouldn't expect them to carry everything I want all the time. That being so I buy everything I can from them and then use either Hornet Hobbies or Northstar Hobbies to get all my other goodies. I like the fact that I can go in and feel very comfortable even if I don't buy something all the time.

Darryl
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 08:18 PM UTC

Well, let's see... I have Ron's in Mundelein, who, I'll talk about in a sec, along with 2 Hobby Lobbys within 20 minutes, a Michael's Crafts, along with a few other sources including Venture Hobbies (HUGE and complete) about 30 mins. away..
Ron's Mundelein Hobbies is awesome. If he doesn't have it, he'll get it for me. He is a Model Railroader and his Grandson, who I hope will inherit this local gem, is a Car modeler.
He also has kinda high prices, but, there's a perk. For every purchase (other that books/mags) I make, the total (before tax) gets written on a club card. When I fill the card up (or two cards or three), I can take that card in and they will add up all the purchases. They will take the total, and find what 10%-15% of that total is, and I have that much in free merchandise of my choosing. It's like a sort of hobby savings account. I think I have about 500.00 in purchases on 2 cards right now. That's $50.00 or so in free shopping so far.

But, I do still buy stuff on eBay if there's a really good deal or if no-one has, or can get, the kit I want, but I like Ron and Betty Price @ Ron's Hobby.

my 2 cents,
Cuhail
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
I will support a LHS only if it's local and they stock pretty decent things. But being a modern and sci-fi modeler (now a "kitbasher"), most LHSs are heavy into WW2 and planes. As such, I still use the internet to buy those niche resin figures, sci-fi kits, and rare OOP kits that I want. Furthermore, I no longer care to buy MSRP kits for kitbashing because I'm not going to build the donor kit OOTB. I just want it for parts.

Some LHSs really know how to do business, and I don't mean by low prices either. These owners have "business sense and business savvy." They invest a portion of their profits into the store...Business 101. Others don't...take the money, pocket it, don't reinvest, and hope that there'll come a day when they sell the last kit on their shelves before they restock. Going to those stores is like opening the door of an empty refrigerator all the time....so I go to another refrigerator in another kitchen.

Unfortunately too, most LHSs here are in bad neighborhoods...places I wouldn't care to visit, let alone park my car. Some close early...right when people get off work. Another issue is their lack of stock or restock. It's as if they want to go out-of-business. Some LHSs don't carry paint or tools at all, just kits (or one type of kit). Others don't even carry sheet styrene, or armor, or magazines, or decals, foilage, or anything to support the hobby. (Obviously, one has to have stock to sell. One can't sell the air in a LHS). I went into one LHS where the owner was screaming at an employee or ranting about train and kit companies. Geez, makes me wonder what the owner says about customers who walk in and out. What's even worse is the employee saying, "Oh, this guy comes in once-a-month and orders our kits. Hmmm...you know, he hasn't been around for a while..."

Quite a few LHSs around here either folded, or converted more into toy, action figures, and prepainted figure shops.

So bottom line, instead of the LHS ordering what I want (which in most cases they don't have any idea what it is and who makes it (even after I tell them), let alone know that the company is foreign), I just find it easier, better, cheaper, and faster if I order it online myself, not to mention most of my online orders are a combination of books and/or kits, items a LHS wouldn't all have.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC
As much as I'd love to support my LHS, they don't really give me a lot of reason to do so on a regular basis. I mostly buy glue and paint there for convenience but their kit prices are always MSRP or higher depending on the manufacturer and popularity of a kit. Add on to that an 8.25% sales tax and the prices via internet suppliers even with shipping and handling still come out lower. I inquired once about whether or not they could order special things like MK track sets or PE sets and the answer was "you'd pay the same price as through Squadron" because that's who they'd source it from. That pretty much clinched it in my book as far as kit prices go. It's dominated more by RC cars and aircraft though they do keep a pretty good stock of new stuff, it's just that it's so much more expensive that I can't justify the purchase in the name of "supporting the LHS" only. Even the so-called "cheaper" kits like Italeri or Trumpeter were sometimes 50% higher than what I could buy them for online.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
I'm a pretty lucky guy, living in a hobby shop Mecca, (with in a 30 minute drive I have a 1/2 dozen shops to pick from, the closest is 5 miles away, and where I normally run over to for the "OH crap I need this today" stuff!) and do support them in most ways. I have found that for the most part their prices are in line with many of the on line shops (US), but no where near the Far East on line shops, who are really eliminating the middle man -the US distributors, which in most cases, even with the added cost of postage is still lower than the US prices.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave, it seems that you, Jeff and I frequent Ideal Hobbies and Dave is a great guy. I also find their model prices are the same or lower than "down south" and they will order anything you want. Like any hobby store though, they don't and I wouldn't expect them to carry everything I want all the time. That being so I buy everything I can from them and then use either Hornet Hobbies or Northstar Hobbies to get all my other goodies. I like the fact that I can go in and feel very comfortable even if I don't buy something all the time.

Darryl

I love going into Ideal Hobbies. True its more RC then anything else but since I have returned to the hobby their selection has gotten better. The prices are pretty good and often better then what NorthStar/Military Hobbies is displaying on their site. So I have no problem spending my money there once in a while. Dave is great to get talking to also. That man really knows his stuff. Even had an article in MSN a couple years ago.

However just north of me in Oriliia is another hobby shop that is pretty good selection wise, but the prices are waaaaay out there. Last month they had an Academy M-113 for over 50 bucks!! I mean when you can get one from Hobby Easy for under 12 bucks Canadian is not hard to decide where to spend your money. The only good thing about the place is that its the only shop anywhere around here (as far as I know) that sells MM acryl line of paints which have some useful colours.

Jeff
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 09:10 PM UTC
Up until a month ago, I had no LHS. Then I noticed a small sign on a shopping center marquee for a shop called Hobby Works. I went in the day after they opened and though the shelves were far from being fully stocked, I could see that they were going to have a fair amount dedicated to modeling. I went back last week and though still not fully stocked, it looked like about 1/4 of the shop will be modelling related. And there was something for every taste. Recently released armor and accessories, sci-fi, gundams, aircraft, ships, cars, historical figures, etc... And though their prices were a little higher than most online shops, it just about evens out when you factor in the lack of shipping.

So although I haven't bought much in there so far, I plan on supporting them as much as I can. As long as I feel like I'm paying a fair price for what I want, Im willing to spend a couple dollars extra on a kit just for the convenience of having a shop within a 15 minute drive of the house. Internet shops are great, but I really like seeing what I'm buying in person before I buy it.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
I have a hobby shop about 20 minutes away. I try to go there at least once a week when possible. I will always get my supplies there or at a Michaels craft store which is just down the street from the hobby shop. The hobby shop stocks the newest Dragon and Tamiya kits and I usually get them below what I would pay online. He was not always like that as he usually caters more to the RC crowd. He has seen me enough now that when the latest DML kit comes in he will set one in back for me. I am still trying to get him to stock different brands of paint as he only carries model master right now. He had said that he once stocked Tamiya paint on the advice of another modeler a few years ago and it never sold. He still has the Tamiya paint rack on display with the same ten bottles of horrible colors.
When I really get a wild hair I will drive about an hour up to Staff Jim's neck of the woods and visit Hobbytown USA. I always spend a bunch of money but come away with some of the older DML or Tamiya kits for about 15 bucks each, in fact I still have a closet full of them.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC
I am extremely lucky and have a well stocked LHS 5 minutes from my house. It has the latest kits all varieties as well as 6 lines of paint, tools, accessories, resin, tracks, figures you name it. They will also hold stuff for regulars. I'm in at least once a week. Its in Colonia NJ. 15 minutes from Staten Island for any New Yorkers. Prices slightly below MSRP. I will buy new kits there to keep supporting the shop unless the Asian price with shipping saves me over $10.00. Untill they opened I used to make the long trek but no more.

You know it Dave.

Tom
Removed by original poster on 10/16/06 - 00:57:48 (GMT).
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
I am fortunate in that my local store is only about 10 minutes from my home. In fact I asked the Proprietor only the other day and got his agreement that I could do a write up for the site.

I consider myself extremely lucky that I am friends with the owner and staff, I have worked there in the past at Christmas, for our Sunday opening, displayed models there and am allowed some discount from my goods, which does off set the prices in the UK.

I get in most weeks and can enjoy a chat about modelling and get a cup of coffee if I desire and even join in with helping other customers if appropriate.

I do sometimes buy from web suppliers but do try and support them as much as possible, but they understand that they cannot keep everything.

John
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:07 AM UTC
I have a good one here in Glasgow where I stay....Jamiesons Models.
Great people that know their stuff and superb service too. It's not huge in size, but they do stack everything from the floor to the roof, everything that you can imagine. I try to go there whenever I can to buy stuff, books and
occasional kit. Another thing, they also offer you coffee every now and then while you're shopping....
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the fact that I can go in and feel very comfortable even if I don't buy something all the time

Darryl
I have spent way to much time in there flapping my gums and realized I needed to get back on the job...

Quoted Text

he only good thing about the place is that its the only shop anywhere around here (as far as I know) that sells MM acryl line of paints which have some useful colours.

Jeff
The wife and I just got back from a weekend in Bracebridge.. She pointed out a sign that read, model supplies... Well In I go and found another hobby shop that carries the MM Acryl paint line.. If you ever get up that way check it out.. Let me know and I'll pm you the address..

Oh and I did spend some money in there... :-) :-) Not much cuz the hobby show is coming...

Dave
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
The closest shop for me is about a two hour drive away, about 130 miles. And to answer the question....no I don't support them. When I first got back into the hobby I did. However the more I learned about mail order companies and dealing with other builders I quit going to them. Pretty much for the same reason as Jeff. I didn't feel like paying $30.00 to $40.00 for a $15.00 to $18.00 kit. So I quit going to them. I do most of my buying from places like Squadron Mail Order and from the members here.

There is nothing like a bunch of fellow modelers to help keep things cheap.

HARV
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 02:36 AM UTC
If I had a 'LHS' I would, but the LHS has not bought new stok since he took the business over, instead concentrating on fishing supplies...
I bought all he had that I wanted, but the remaining stuff is so vastly overpriced that he has no change of selling.
I do go into other shops when we happen to go shopping elsewhere, and usualy buy something, but I don't go specificaly to buy things that I need. And that includes paint, glue etc.

Cheers
Henk
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
How local is local? I have a pretty good one about 20 mins from me, they do a lot of RC stuff, but I think this is where the real money is in "modeling". They have a good selection of the latest kits, the prices are about par. They also have some older ones that they buy in secondhand. Like many other "older" modellers I prefer to "see before I buy", I don't know what you do if you've bought something from an online shop in the Orient then you're disatisfied! I'm about an hour from Hannants, 'nuff said.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great people that know their stuff and superb service too. It's not huge in size, but they do stack everything from the floor to the roof, everything that you can imagine. I try to go there whenever I can to buy stuff, books and
occasional kit. Another thing, they also offer you coffee every now and then while you're shopping....

I've been to this shop.

It's the only decent model shop within 60 miles (apparently there is something similar in Edinburgh) and they have just about everything.

Don't be put off by the size of the place. This is a true "Model Shop". You can browse there for hours ( or till SWMBO turns up). They're stock is stacked from floor to ceiling but.... Ask and you will receive!

They are true model stockists.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've been to this shop.

It's the only decent model shop within 60 miles (apparently there is something similar in Edinburgh) and they have just about everything.

Don't be put off by the size of the place. This is a true "Model Shop". You can browse there for hours ( or till SWMBO turns up). They're stock is stacked from floor to ceiling but.... Ask and you will receive!

They are true model stockists.

I agree Murdo and should have also said that a model shop to me is somewhere that you can go and browse, with shelves filled to the brim, not like some of the sterile big stores. My shop too sells RC and model railway, but it still has that true model shop smell.

John
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 04:26 AM UTC
My LHS is an hour away; not really local. I generally order kits online, but I do buy all of my paints and supplies from the LHS. There is a really good selection of reference stuff there as well. I have a Hobby Lobby opening up about 20 minutes from me this weekend. You know the HL selection is never really that vast, but they will have those 50% sales!

Patrick