Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Wifes understanding of time here..
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:55 PM UTC
I gotta ask, up until recently my wife had no concept of why I'd want to spend so much time here researching things and chatting with friends...same thing for the old snowmobiles and old cars sites. She noted that if I spent more time modeling than online I'd get to actually apply all these things I've learned...she is smart..and yet she married me!
As of last week "she" found a site she can relate to finally, but now I have to fight her for the use of the computer, but this is a good thing as I've been sitting down at the work table alot more often and actually working.

Am I the only one who has/had this problem...pick any part.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
Sharing the computer: Yep been there. Now I have a lap top and the wife and step-son have their own towers, all hooked up to the wi fi. (Well not hooked up, since it is all wireless.)
As far as spending time here that was never a problem. Years before the site expansion and Model Geek was born the wife would stick her head in the computer room door and say, "You talking to your geek friends?" I would reply, "You bet." And that was that.
No problem.

Shaun
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:25 PM UTC
I never had a problem with the wife sharing the computer until a few years ago when she discovered Ebay. She doesn't buy much but she's forever looking. Finally I told her I was going to fix up the spare bedroom as an office for her. She was sooo happy. Then she asked the question I was waiting to hear "So, since I have an office now, can we get a second computer?" My response to myself was "SCORE!!!! My response to her was "Of course dear, I'll order it today." :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:41 PM UTC
No wife, and my cats like me on line as one is usually on my lap. Of course sometimes this leads to a cat discussion of who has dibs on my lap, and being on blood thinners they all become airborne when their claws come out! :-) :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
I love Old PC's and Work Assigned PC's - we have four PC's and two laptops all "connected". If you can't get on line at our house it's either Time Warners fault or you really don't want to. :-)

I know I'm sick, I'm checking myself in now.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:57 AM UTC
When I first got married, my wife couldn't understand the sheer functionality (and novelty) of using a PC. "Just a waste of time," was her response.

When we moved, we could finally get high speed. It piqued her interest a bit, but still not completely. It wasn't until I bought a second desktop for my son and located it in the living room that it suddenly became a "required household appliance." Now, she has her own laptop and printer.

I'm not overly geeked out, but we've got her laptop, my son's desktop in his room, plus my main PC plus a dedicated music recording deskop (DAW) - both in my den. Or, as she calls it, the "command center". I think I need a sign for the door.

- Frank
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
Well, we have two PC's so sharing isnt an issue unless one or the other goes on the fritze.. And my wife has not once given me any issues about this hobby, the time I spend here or what I spend on kits.. Now If I came home with the new Dora kit, she might give me the ole evil eye !!!

Dave
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 05:19 AM UTC
Funny that this topic has come up. My wife never really used to bother with the computer till she got into scrapbooking/stamping and browsing E-bay.

She uses my E-bay account so its a mix of military models and Close to My Heart scrapbooking stuff. I can only imagine what anyone thinks if they look at my feedback lately. :-)

Now I have to fight her for the computer but its good cause she has a hobby and she loves it.

Funniest thing is that scrapbooking is almost as bad as this hobby. My wife was on one of her scrapbooking sites last night. There were posts from women talking about having to hide orders from their husbands. How their DH (dear husband - their version of our SWMBO ) never have a clue how much stuff they really have and of course women selling stuff cause their "stash" is out of control.

Its no different from this hobby, its just a different medium.

Jeff
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 05:39 AM UTC
i have a brother and sister who are msnaholics... yet their only 14... such a young age so we;ve had our share of fights for the computer...

my dads a pc dino, so he rarely uses it... last year my brother and sis paired up and bought a used pc, this year in college i got my laptop... so no more fighting...

Frank