_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
More Uk modelers then USA?
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 06:38 PM UTC
Its just my opinion, but at looking at number of UK modelers on this site, seem to outweigh all other countries. It seems the UK has more people interested in plane and armor modeling than here in the USA, where model railroads, baseball and video games seem to be hobby of choice.

Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Its just my opinion, but at looking at number of UK modelers on this site, seem to outweigh all other countries. It seems the UK has more people interested in plane and armor modeling than here in the USA, where model railroads, baseball and video games seem to be hobby of choice.

I like my modeling in planes 1/48, armor 1/35, ships 1/350 and cars 1/24, that is what I used to do. Have some interest in railroads too thanks my grandad, dad and his cousin (B.C Canada) and another relative who served in USN and took part in Korea on a carrier, still looking for his family etc....
I like NHL (Boston Bruins), NFL (Minnesota Vikings) and MBL (Los Angeles Dodgers)....
I can say that my hobbies has been influenced (spelling?) by my parents and grandparents etc....
Here's to them....

Oh btw.....I'm a Swede living in Scotland :-)
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 08:47 PM UTC
Is commonwealth close enough? :-)

It may be true. Im in Kingston, Ontario and we have a population of probably 120 or 130 thousand. We only have one decent size hobby shop that stocks RC vehicles and planes, scale models, railroad. Other than that, we have some little hole in the wall shop that looks like it barely stays open (and probably does due to the fact that it is across town from the larger one).

None of my friends from high schhol or college model. And I don't see many kids at all in the scale model section actually picking up kits. Mostly it is their fathers. Even with those who do buy, its not a huge hobby here, more of a smaller but steady one. Like I said, I don't really know anyone who does (currently) model in my town.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC
Gidday Johnny

A very interesting observation.

I dont have access to the site statistics but I always personally felt there was more of a greater US presence here as opposed to a UK one.
I could be wrong but it always felt to me like this type of ranking US, UK, Canada etc.

I know I really enjoy the diversity this site has its truly global.

Whilst the New Zealand is small its strong and enthusiastic on this site. Like Kevin we may need to gather under the "Commonwealth" banner. LOL

Love to know what the statistics stay.

Regards

Sean
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 09:53 PM UTC
Can't speak for the other sites, but at least 30% of HFM's visitors are Stateside - or rather have US ISPs... e.g. the client I'm based at has their gateway in New York, so all my visits/post would be US based
The US is followed by the UK and then Germany.

Rudi
 _GOTOTOP