_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Display Bases
aaronpegram
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I am trying to get my hands on a wooden display base for a vignette depicting Seil's 'Sniper in the bush' which i am giving my brother for his 21st birthday. I've searched high and low for a nice, simple, varnished/stained plinth of some sort so i can mount the white metal kit , but with no results. You would think that it would be a nice easy task the local trophy guy could help you with!

Thinking that several heads are better than one, can anybody recommend an online LHS or something? Even better, somewhere in Canberra?

cheers,

Aaron.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 03:50 PM UTC
Just get a suitable picture frame and put a wooden plank in it instead of a photo.
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hi Aaron.

Get in touch with a local wood turners / workers club. You should find them in the clubs section of the whitepages. These guys are usually retired and can knock something up for you pretty quick at a very reasonable price. One guy did a nice turned jarrah stand for a dozen stubbies and it took a week.

HTHs.

Shane
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
Find a local craft store or Bunnings where they have a craft section. They have lots of little Craftwood bases, plaques etc in plain craftwood. Buy a can of acrylic lacquer and stain and do it yourself. Another more interesting display for smaller items is a Nescafe coffee lid painted with the groundwork covering the logo detail. They look surprisingly good for figures etc.
Cheers
Al
aaronpegram
Visit this Community
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:59 PM UTC
Wow...so many good ideas guys. Thanks! I'll let you all know how i go...

cheers,

Aaron.
rommel93
Visit this Community
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 02:23 PM UTC
Hi Aaron,
How are you have not spoken to you or saw you on armorama for a while. have no ideas on the topic not quite sure what your talking about

Sebastian
Removed by original poster on 11/12/06 - 17:54:18 (GMT).
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi Aron,

I am not sure if you are still after a base but another idea (one that I have used) is to visit your local trophy store!
Yep sometimes they have bases, both plastic and wooden that may prove suitable. I was also after something suitable to display my 1/35 figures so I went to a local trophy store in Canberra and he was able to order some of those plastic plinth (sp) style bases that you see supporting all manner of sports figures.
The store owner was more that happy to order me a handful of these bases which proved highly suitable for tarting up and displaying figures!

Cheers
Lee

_GOTOTOP