_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
suspicious about Belgian "future"
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC
Hai,

Several people told me that the Johnson product "sols plus" sold in Belgium is exactly the same as the "future" which is so highly recommended as a varnish substitute.

Still I am a bit suspicious and affraid that i will ruin my models with this stuff.

So here is the technical description that I find on the bottle of sols plus:

less than 5% of non-iogene surface active substances, soap, 5-15% polycarboxylaten, preservatives.

Especially the soap is making me doubt a bit.

Could somebody with access to the real "future" confirm that this content description matches the one from the real "future".

Sorry for the hassle but the good press that future is getting on kitmaker makes me really wanting to use this stuff provided that it is safe.

CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 01:06 AM UTC
And I thought this would be easy!? After pulling out my bottle of Future (USA) only to find that there is no mention of any ingredient whatsoever! Weird. So I go to the manufacturers site (S.C.Johnson & Son), again no ingredients anywhere to be found. But alas, I found this:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19001179

In essence:
Ingredients from MSDS/Label:

Tributoxyethyl phosphate 5% *
Diethylene glycol ethyl ether 5% *
Water 80-90% *

* site has actual percentage breakdown...for some reason I couldn't get the text to seperate whan copying it

The site also has listed health effects etc.

Hope this answers your question,
Cheers,
Charles
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 03:58 PM UTC
hai Charles,

Thanks for the effort.

You came to the same conclusion as I have; its not that simple

But your link gives a lot of information, thanks a lot
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
In Canada and the USA (I think) companies arn't required to list the ingredients that are in their products. So we have no idea what the heck we have in our household cleaners etc.

I can go into any factory in Canada that I might have to do work in (I am an electrician) and demand a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) about anything I may have a concern with. They must provide it and it will list the health effects and ingredients of said substance.

However go buy a bathtub cleaner and try to find out whats in it I am SOL. It not easy to find. Just remember that when you see those commercials with the mom spraying lysol or whatever all over the kids toys, highchairs etc. Its not much wonder ashma and all these other problems are on the rise in kids.

Anyways rant over....

I would try whatever stuff it is you have in Belgium on a scrap model and see how it works.

Jeff
Removed by original poster on 10/10/06 - 22:56:40 (GMT).
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would try whatever stuff it is you have in Belgium on a scrap model and see how it works.

Jeff

Yes, I could but this does not say anything about the long-term evolution.

I also posted this question on the website of SC Johnson BENELUX (Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxemburg). The reply that I got translates to:

-----
Dear sir,

This product (futre) is not available in Europe. The product closest to future is "Parket Plus" but it is not identical to future.

-----

I replied asking what exactly the difference is but until now, no reply.

ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:00 PM UTC
You may have seen this article. It lists "Sols Plus" as the same as future. Having said that I did a search for Sols Plus and the product I found was for removing limestore.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You may have seen this article. It lists "Sols Plus" as the same as future.

"sols plus" contains soap! that doesn't seem the correct fluid for putting on models

I guess that I will experiment with parket plus which seems to be the closest availabel in Belgium replacing the real future
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 05:05 AM UTC
If you like, I could send you a bottle of Future from the US. It's relatively cheap here and a regular bottle of the stuff should last you years. (I've had one bottle for 4 years now and am not even 1/4 through it)
Anyway, if you're interested send me a PM with your mailing address.

Cheers,
Charles
 _GOTOTOP