Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Do you miss it?
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Yes, I miss it. Like it's been stated above, I don't miss the BS; but I do miss it every day. It's been ten years.

Jim
Lector
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 06:00 AM UTC
I volunteered for the Spanish Armada when almost nobody in my country (Spain) did: there was forced conscription in that time, but you could automaticaly get out / stay away from military service by declaring yourself a "conscientious objector": just as easy as signing a paper. No more dramas. No one of my friends joined the military, all of them took the "sweet home everyday" way, with ther girls and family, and their jobs.

I did it not for money (I´m talking you of the nineties, not 40 years ago: we earnt 150 USD a month). We had almost no privileges, zero amenities, milk and cookies for breakfast all days, and we weren´t given a coat for everyone to use in winter: we just had onboard a coat for every three or four. We were given dogtags only because this was considered a risky service... dogtags were not given regularly !!! just to some units !!!

For a impartial observer I think that we would have seem nearly "slaves", but we weren´t.
All the guys like me in my ship were volunteers. My ship was a sigint ship (collecting inteligence). All our missions were real, and were very upset to the countries we were near operating for weeks. All on board volunteers. Hell, we spaniard sailors were poor as rats these days. We worked hard as slaves, man. If you see my photo... it was taken the pay-day. I assure to all of you that next day everybody that went down the ship would return onboard without a buck. I´m sure you know what I´m talking about, guys, I´m sure.

But we weren´t here to make money: we were, very, very few, just a bunch, were there because someone had to do that job for our country. I think that some of you understand what I mean. Some don´t, but some yes. I think that citizenship it´s not just a right, you must do some sacrifice to earn it. Things in life are not free,that´s the worst lie that is anonymously told today to young people, the most pernicious message.

The day I finished my service with the Armada, I was really sad. But I couldn´t stay there because rules were really bizarre (fortunately things have changed a lot today, for better).

I remember those days EVERYDAY. I remember my mates, the ship, the smell inside the ship, the monstruous noise in the engine room, my bunk, the solid-coffee, the high seas storms, practicing onboard with the CETME, the ship traffic in the Gibraltar strait, the North Africa coast, the most starry nights I´ve ever seen at night, drinking beer and talking with the guys from the NASHVILLE, from the SAVANNAH, from the BIG HORN, etc, etc... I´ve at home, like a treasure, a photo of my ship, signed by my Commander and Second Commander, dedicated to me, and giving me "THANKS for everything, Roberto, good luck". I remember saying farewell to all officers and subofficers, all shaking hands, with smiles in their faces, looking at you at the eyes, "saying good bye, it´s been very good to serve with you". Wet eyes. That was exactly the same for all my mates. There´s nothing like a commited volunteer...

Some times when I´m sleeping I dream that I´m back: we´re in close formation on the deck of our ship, our Commander is talking to us. Some hard jokes. Rough laughs. Sometimes is the same ship, sometimes is another ship. This dream is relatively frequent.

Although we come from very different kinds of services an countries, I think most of you understand about the inside-feeling what I´m talking about, because I think it´s universal.

Maybe I´m becoming old.

Cheers.

Tankworks
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 06:19 PM UTC
I was in law enforcement not the military, but it took over ten years to stop getting an adrenaline rush every time I heard a siren!
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 330 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:28 PM UTC
Do i miss it ?
To right civvie street is just a no hope,No honor,respect,integrity,manners,worth and a few more i can not even spell, full of drink,crime,drugs,kids how need a right good right Huck and foal mouth yobs with attitude.
I have shot at people i respect more then a very large % of the habitats of this country.
Would i go back ? o yes tomorrow if i was young enough.
and that's after being IED twice and taking one in the thigh.