_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Masking
Percheron
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
So there I am, trying to put the painters masking tape onto the body of a 1/48 stuka, and I thought "there must be a better way". But being new at this stuff, I don't know what that is.

The problem really is this: Is it better to paint the lighter underside of the plane first, or the camo on top?

I figure it is better to paint the bottom first, and not have to mask against over spray, and then the top and only mask once. Of course I think of this after going through half a roll of tape trying to get the Stuka covered properly.

Thanks,
-Derek

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 08:51 PM UTC
Derek,
I'm not a plane builder, but my rule of thumb, and I think most guys do it also, is to paint light to dark colors. This being because you would be able to see the darker color under the lighter color. So to answer your question, I would paint the underside with the lighter color first, than the darker camo on top.
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hi Derek.
Definately go for the underside first.Then with the top do the lighter colours first.Gradually the whole plane will be masked off and then when the last colour is sprayed on you will be ready for the "great unveiling",,my favourite bit!
Nige
Percheron
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 09:40 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

It struck me last night as I was masking off the plane to paint the underside, "why am I doing this? the camo colors will cover the light blue!" But I wanted to find out how you all do it. Thanks again

-Derek
 _GOTOTOP