History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Afrika korps question
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 07:09 PM UTC
Instant stupid: Just add honeycut...
How is the Korps pronounced in English? I mean, is it 'core' like the French pronounciation, or 'corpse' just because it isn't French?
Is it late?
Cheers for the heads up
Brad
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 08:14 PM UTC
I have always heard it pronounced as "core". On the History Channel that is how they always pronounce it when they are talking about different units. If not, then I have always being saying it wrong!!

HARV
Sabre5Delta
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 08:49 AM UTC
I'd say "core" as in Marine "Core" and Civilian Conservation "Core" or esprit de corps...I mean "core."

Interesting question, though.

hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:05 AM UTC
Don't feel bad! There are always things that we've all wanted to ask but weren't sure if it was a dumb question or not.

I'm with the others. In documentaries etc. I've always heard it pronounced "core" in addition to speaking with many model enthusiats. I would say that you are safe using "core"
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 01:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies lads... 'core' That is how I have always pronounced it...
Just thought that the actual German pronounciation may have been quite literal...
Cheers
Brad
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
I've never heard the word pronounced (either in English or in German) other than "core", unless the speaker has zero military background.

There are some interesting twists, however. For example, I've heard III Corps referred to either as "three core" or "third core", while VII Corps is almost always "seventh core". And I Corps and V Corps are almost always "eye core" and "vee core".

And of course both at VMI as well as at West Point, the Corps of Cadets is referred to as "the core".

And if you get ESPN Classic, don't miss watching these two play tomorrow. You won't see "Big 10" level football, but you'll see real student athletes. Should be an interesting game as West Point Head Coach Bobby Ross is a VMI grad.

Go KEYDETS!!!

Tom

VMI Class of 1972
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 02:03 AM UTC
Is it on classic or 2? Or is it a recast of an old game? Of course being in Dallas right now all that is going on is the Texas - OU game. My soon to be ex brother in law is a big Okla fan and corrupted my nephew. So guess which side of the fence I'm on (waving that silly little hand sign with the thumb and little finger pointing out)

Steve Joyce
VMI 76
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:28 PM UTC
It's pronounced 'core'.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 05:59 AM UTC
Some one mentioned the unenlightened ... would those be the ones, say in the media, who assume that "corps" is plural and so drop the "s" when refering to one "corps" ....

John
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
Steve, it was on "Classic", and with luck, you missed it. It was ugly.

Second play from scrimmage, VMI fumbled, and first play from scrimmage, Army ran it in for a touchdown.

And it went downhill from there! Final score, Army 62, VMI 7.

Only "good" thing was the the Keydets never gave up. They were playing hard when the final gun sounded.

Bobby Ross had to be proud of both teams.

Tom