_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
MIxing paint
Percheron
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hello friends,

I'm having a bit problem mixing acrylic paint. I have been using Testors Model Master because they are the only ones I've found that use the RLM numbers, which makes it easy for a newbie like me to get the right color when I'm doing Luftwaffe stuff. The problem is these paints settle more than the others, and shaking them gets old fast.

Suggestions?

-Derek
HAL0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 05:38 PM UTC
I stir my paints up with a toothpick and it seems to get em mixed up good quicker than shaking i almost prefer stiring over shaken them.

Mixing paints is just part of modeling or painting.

Hope help

A.J.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 05:46 PM UTC
I know shaking is a pain in the sit ons but i find it better if you drop a couple of AA size fishing weights in the jar of paint - seems to move the pigment about better - and it makes a cool noise !!

Andy
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 06:30 PM UTC
Gotta stir and stir a lot. Try stiring first to loosen it up, then shake it
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 08:39 PM UTC
Derek,
I use a cordless mixer from Micromark.com. It will throughly mix settled paint in seconds. I keep compatible solvent in a flip top bottle to clean the blade. Best money I ever spent for mixing. Cost about $11.00 plus shipping. You can see it at:
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=80975

Don
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
I packed all mine (upside down) into a Quart or Gallon can and took them to my Local "Home Improvement Warehouse" and asked them to shake it. Just be sure they're packed tightly.... put in a bit of Bubblewrap and you're good to go.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 07:45 AM UTC
I use old paint brushes to stir or loosen pigment on the bottom a tooth pick would snap. I also have one of thoose hobby paint shakers but the pigment has to be loose on the bottom. I put 2 BBs into the paint to help break up lumps. I have also made a stirring end out of sturdy brass rod and chucked it into my Dremel and stirred on slow speed, but if your not careful that can be quite messy.

Tom
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
You cant beat the robart paint shaker, maybe a little pricey, but once you have it you'll be glad you did.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use a cordless mixer from Micromark.com. It will throughly mix settled paint in seconds. I keep compatible solvent in a flip top bottle to clean the blade. Best money I ever spent for mixing.

Hi Guys,

I can not agree with Don more! My mixer is the best painting tool since paint itself! You will not be sorry for buying one. I give these as gifts to modelers for birthdays and Christmas.

I tried Badger's version but don't like it as well. MicroMark's has a pushbutton on their's. Badger's has a slide switch, which I find cumbersome. Otherwise, it works just as well.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hi Derek,
I've thought about those paint mixers from Micro-Mark but couldn't make myself shell out $10.00 for one. then one evening I was walking through one of those Dollar Stores (can't remember which chain it was) and saw the same thing being sold as a drink mixer/frother. The only real difference was the end of the mixing blade. this one had the end bent into a circle and was inserted into a spring. The diameter was a little big for some paint bottles but it would be easy to make a new one.
Look around, especially in the kitchen area of the stores and you should be able to find one eventually. Even if you decide you want to spring for the hobby version, you've only spent a buck :-)
Craig
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 231 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 06:18 AM UTC
The mixers are the way to go, i have two and one of Robarts shakers also. Stay away from BB's or weights or anything in the jars. Several reasons (all from bad experiences) BBs if not plated will rust in acrylic paints and throw off the tint, also if there is the slightest defect in the jar you WILL break the jar and wear what you are shaking. Been there, done that, and both SUCK bigtime.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You cant beat the robart paint shaker, maybe a little pricey, but once you have it you'll be glad you did.

I got one too, works like a top It was under 20 bucks for the cordless, I figured it would take up less space with no cord and if the worktop is cluttered I can simply do it anywhere. The batteries have lasted quite a while anyway...
jeramieb
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
I use a "T" section of old spue shaved the sides to look a little like a fan and place it in my dremel tool. Works like a champ and didn't cost me anything.

Just make sure you only use the slowest speed when mixing. :-)
mstcls
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 01:40 AM UTC
I got one for you guys

Some years ago I was invited to a party and found out that the host was a model railroader. As I walked thru his workshop I noticed several bottles of paint on two rollers that were about three feet long with a small DC motor attached to one end. It was exactly like the thing that cooks hot dogs at the ballpark. He explained that when he starts a project all the paint that will be needed is given a quick stir and placed on this machine. The machine is turned on and stays on till the project is finished. He stated that while he was working on a project he never had to stir paint just use it and place it back on the machine.

He deigned and built it himself out of wooden dowels, R/C car wheel bearings and a DC motor from one of his old locomotives.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I packed all mine (upside down) into a Quart or Gallon can and took them to my Local "Home Improvement Warehouse" and asked them to shake it. Just be sure they're packed tightly.... put in a bit of Bubblewrap and you're good to go.

Matt you crack me up!! Ingenius idea!!

I've never thought of this a need. I use a cotton swab to stir my paints, I keep it and reuse it untill it breaks. A dollar buys a whole bunch, and if you get the ones with the plastic "stick" they last a long time...

I guess this is one of those items you get and never regret you bought. I'm not quite there though...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 06:41 AM UTC
After reading so many positive remarks on those fancy battery paint stirrers I busted down and spung for the 10 bucks. Works great, wonder why I never pickled one up earlier. Even mixed up some 20 year old Humbrols without a problem, and only took a minute or two. To be honest, I did have to use a little screw driver to first dig up the pigments from around the bottom of the tin, but then the mixer did the hard part in no time at all.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:00 AM UTC
Like Don, Fred, and Dave, I have one of the battery operated mixers. Mine came from Micro Mark years ago and it is the "stuff!!" And, like Dave, I'm still using it to mix up my really old Humbrol paints!! I use a lot of the MM paints and same thing goes....a quick mix. Price has gone way up since, but even at $10 or $11 it's worth it. Get one, you won't regret it at all!

Mike
 _GOTOTOP