Place your announcements here please.
Model Piracy NO - Software Piracy O.K.?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 12:12 PM UTC
While anyone who has more than three brain cells functioning understands that piracy could potentially kill modelling (in particular Resin Parts/Figures), surely, means of obtaining (protected images) is also potentially damaging?

Illegal Copying of Intellectual Content, is as illegal and dishonest as copying a movie, a music CD or, lets call a spade a spade, a 1/35th scale resin figure.

There may be some nuance i'm unaware of here if there is i'd be DELIGHTED to hear it, meanwhile, can links like this be kept off the site?
Removed by original poster on 09/28/06 - 16:17:32 (GMT).
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 05:08 PM UTC
Post removed - cos i looked further and wanted to remove what i'd said - sorry if i caused offence.

Andy
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC
Jim,
If this post is in relation to this thread I think I have stated my official response to this there.

Thanks,
Jim
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC
Many times, including Big A, pics may have been taken from a site where ther copyright in on the webpage but not watermarked on the photo. The pic has been links and copied dozens of time.

Is there a general guideline about posting images? Should one assume it is copyrighted if one is unsure? Should it only apply to images that actually have a watermark copyright on it?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:50 PM UTC
Alan,
It's obviously a complex topic, but common consensus on using images on the Internet today is that if you are using someones images (IE: images that they own or have rights to) without their permission and for some commercial gain then you could likely be sued by them for copyright infringement. Similarly if you used their image on a poster which you were giving away for free they might be able to show damages in that some of those people may have bought a poster from them and thus you have deprived them of income from their intellectual property.

Now suppose I were to post an image of a famous modern-day painting here on the site to talk about how much I like the painting. Is that copyright infringement? The courts have said not. Not unless the artist can claim that my fair use of his image is somehow causing him monetary damage (in fact the reverse is probably the case as my promoting his work will lead to more sales, fame, etc).

The problem with most historical photos is that no one can really say with certainty (from them being on a website) who the rightful owner of those photos is. Or even whether they have fallen into the realm of public domain. Of course those considerations are moot based on fair use anyways. They only come into play if the images are being used in a way causing damage to the rightful owner.

As this relates to the pirated figures discussion obviously a copied figure sold to customers via the Internet, shows, or eBay causes direct and undeniable harm to the creator of those figures. On the flip side, ask Taesung if he minds when images of his figures are used on forums to discuss his figures. Probably not.

Cheers,
Jim
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
Just an FYI, an estimated 90% of the ALL the software in use in China is unlicensed...

Shaun

Linkage:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6062654.html

_GOTOTOP