Normandie archive pics question...
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 05:42 PM UTC
Gday all
this is aimed at those of you who have seen the thousands of pics of Normandy that was linked here some time ago... Has anyone downloaded the lot, and if so, do you have a photo number AND brief description? I tried Adsen image grab to download all the images at once, but to no avail... And I'm left with downloading one at a time, and I tell ya, if I see another ruined dock scene I'll go troppo...
Any help or ideas?
Thanks
Brad
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 07:30 PM UTC
hey Brad,
I know i have been downloading the whole lot and that it just fits on one CDR (some 600mb!), but for this i have been using a software called HTTrack Website Copier which is actually free! you just paste the internet adress and here it goes smoothly.
link to download
Maybe you will find somebody that noted all pictures, but if you can't, the best thing is to own a software like 'acd see', so that you can see all your pics as thumbnails of customizable size so that you can pick theones that interest you.
hope it helps,
JB
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
merci jba! Thanks very much and I will try it tomorrow morning...
Regards
Brad
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 07:50 PM UTC
I thought I had posted on this many times in the past but "site downloading" is a very heinous act in some circumstances. The reason I say this is bandwidth. Bandwidth on the Internet costs money. And while your ISP may not charge or limit your bandwidth rest assured the site you are taking those images from is charging the person for every MB you download.

Some have raised the issue of image piracy with this post but if you are using the images for your own personal use I believe this is covered under most "Fair Use" copyright laws. However start selling discs of downloaded images and you cross that line quickly (not saying you are going to do that).

Anyways give some thought to how much and what you are downloading.

The bandwidth you use may cost this person a lot of money especially if a large group of people all started doing it at once.

Also FYI... site downloaders can cause sites to slow down from too many server requests in rapid succession. Most of the larger sites have had a problem with site downloaders in the past and many of them are from China. Perhaps our Chinese friends have a good reason for this (translating the site offline?), but either way it causes problems for other users of a site.

Cheers,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP