History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
How to get kids involed in history?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 09:56 AM UTC
I'm looking for some suggestions for getting kids interested in history. My nephew is a video game addict and when he visits me I'd like to show him some historical places etc to give him an appreciation for the past. Any ideas?
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:33 AM UTC
first let him play..medal of valor or call of duty,,,them watch with him..band of brothers or saving private ryan..well blackhawk down is a good starters. them go to the historical facts and tank museum. that will get his attention. but most important is reading history books..civil war,,the great war and WWII up to the present..don't do it over night..make the phasing a little slow.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:12 PM UTC
Go to a museum and let him/her see what it was like back then. It was my father who really got me into military thingies whether they were winged, had big guns or such.
Even head to the airport and lay back and watch the planes land and take-off.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 06:05 PM UTC
I think my son's interest started when I took him to the local airshow. Now he can't wait and enjoys both vintage and modern military aircraft. On top of that, having history related materials around the house have piqued his interest, not to mention the broad range of military subjects that I build at the modeling bench.

I find it very satisfying to see him watching the History Channel and wanting to get a kit of a plane that intrigues him. As of that, he's had a thing for He-111's.

- Frank
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:17 AM UTC
Those are some good ideas guys. I guess I was looking for the "magic bullet" that would get him hooked. I like Liberators idea of incorporating video games and other media. Gunfighter and Augie also have good ponits with the museum and events. I think I should take it slow and work it in a bit at a time. My nephew is really bright but just mezmorized by electronics. I'm glad I was brought up before all that stuff!
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 05:10 PM UTC
I'll speculate that the best "magic bullet" will be association. Say for example, if he's hooked on a military-oriented game, then exposing him to the real equipment might get him intrigued. Seeing something in person can make a big impression.

I know as a kid, my grandfather used to find all kinds of way to expose me to historical things. Trips to Gettysburg, comic books (anyone remember Sgt. Rock?), military books with lots of photos, even a trip to a local cemetary with a B-25 positioned above the veterans section.

Good luck. I personally think you're attempting a great service for your nephew.

- Frank
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC
If you talk to him about events, talk about the movers and shakers of those events. What in their personalities led them to do something a certain way, for example. Make the stories come alive. To the movies mentioned, I'd add Into The West available on DVD. It was that 12 hour series that followed a Virginia and a Sioux family through the 19th century and includes a depiction of Quantrill's raid on Lawrenceville KA. If you're near there, a follow up trip to the site would be in order.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:15 AM UTC
Thanks for all the good suggestions! Everyone has good ideas. We do have several historic areas close such as Fort Riley. I'm sure gonna try to involve him as much as I can. His dad is a good guy but could spend his life in front of the TV watching ESPN! I like sports but I think other things are more important. HISTORY! for example.

When I was a kid I was absolutely mezmorized by historical things even when I was very young (5-6). Why do you think that kids aren't that way anymore? Was I just lucky or weird?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When I was a kid I was absolutely mezmorized by historical things even when I was very young (5-6). Why do you think that kids aren't that way anymore? Was I just lucky or weird?

I think one reason is the emphasis on standardized testing focussing almost exclussively on math and English. A colleague was just saying geography is gone from the curriculum and a friend who teaches histroy says he gets only half the time of either math or English. Make funding and raises completely tied to standardized test results and the curriculum will wind up reaching to the test.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 06:15 PM UTC
I think it's the changing of the times. Way too many distractions for kids these days. When I was young, I remember pouring over books, studying pictures, even if I'd already looked at them a hundred times. Now, there's more to pull kids away.

If I use my son as an example, in his room alone he has: satellite TV, wireless-enabled PC, a DVD player, as well as his toys and Nintendo DS handheld, an acoustic guitar, electric guitar, stereo, and banjo...

Seeing how my neices are when they visit, they're badgering us to us the computer and talk to their friends over AIM. And I'm sure they aren't talking history (unless who broke up with who yesterday is considered history these days)....

- Frank