_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Discount Models.com
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:47 AM UTC
Has anyone ever dealt with this company?
I have heard good things and there prices are really low...
Thanks,
Andrew

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
I've dealt with them In person at Shows. I've also e-mailed them looking for thing in the past. THEY ARE A GREAT COMPANY TO DEAL WITH.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 717 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
I've bought lots of stuff from them, and never any problem. They are one of my favorite 'net vendors... I particularly appreciate the attention and feedback I get after a purchase
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi there.

I bought some stuff from them. Good prices (sale items) and great service.

Cheers
Andy
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:06 AM UTC
Andrew,
Order with confidence, Mark is a good guy and has some of the best prices and service around. I usually try to use either discountmodels.com or missionmodels.com if I can't find it locally. Both are top notch!

Cheers,
Mike
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
I usually find that rollmodels.com has better prices than most web retailers. Discount Hobby Center used to have the best prices around...and still might. However, the last few times I called them they did not seem to customer friendly.

NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:29 AM UTC
Oh yeah...I do not know any of them personally...just from being a customer.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:11 PM UTC
very good guy to deal with.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 01:00 AM UTC
Mark Klutchko (the man behind Discount Models) is one of the nicest guys I've met since coming to this hobby. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND using him whenever you can. He has great prices and great customer service. That is his main difference between him and larger companies like Roll Models and Great Models. They never have anything in stock, take forever to ship, and don't focus on customer service whereas Mark tries very hard to keep his stuff in stock, ships immediately (and uses Priority Mail so it comes fast), and is fanatical about providing good customer service. He also has the cheapest prices for Friulmodel track and Royal Model stuff in the US as far as I know. I have no affiliation with Mark. I am just a very satisfied, frequently returning, customer.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC
I just purchased something from him and he assured me it would ship today. The price was good and the service was friendly and fast. :-)

Thanks,
Andrew
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark Klutchko (the man behind Discount Models) is one of the nicest guys I've met since coming to this hobby. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND using him whenever you can. He has great prices and great customer service. That is his main difference between him and larger companies like Roll Models and Great Models. They never have anything in stock, take forever to ship, and don't focus on customer service whereas Mark tries very hard to keep his stuff in stock, ships immediately (and uses Priority Mail so it comes fast), and is fanatical about providing good customer service. He also has the cheapest prices for Friulmodel track and Royal Model stuff in the US as far as I know. I have no affiliation with Mark. I am just a very satisfied, frequently returning, customer.

I like to hear about companies with good customer service. That makes me want to try them. A cursory glance at discount models website shows they have good regular prices, but not as good as rollmodels. Do I need to look for specials? Thanks,

avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC
The difference between Discount Models and Roll Models is in the speed and service. Yes Roll Models will sell it to you for $1 less, but it will take a while and their service isn't as good. I like to get the lowest price as much as the next guy, but I am more than willing to pay $1 more for faster and better service. If you want the absolute lowest price (except in the case of Friulmodel and Royal Models items) all the time stick with Roll Models and Great Models. If you want your order shipped fast, error free, and with great customer service go with Discount Models. It is a personal choice of what you value more.

Here is a stumper. Why do people use VLS who has high prices and crappy service?
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
Good question, why don't you ask them?

Andrew
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:10 AM UTC
Personally, I've had NO problems with VLS. I've had the occasional backorder , But you will get that almost anywhere at some point. All of my orders have been correct the first time.

My 2cents
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:14 AM UTC
My experiences with VLS have been very negative. They almost never have what I want in stock (only once have they), their prices are higher than almost everyone, and the one time they had what I wanted in stock, it still took them 3 weeks to get it to me. That is just unacceptable. Mark gets me my orders in 2 (TWO) days from the time I order it. Now THAT is service. My last post was in no way meant to offend anyone though so please don't take offense. I'm not saying that people who shop with VLS are stupid, just that they maybe should look at the alternatives.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 04:01 AM UTC
No offence Tanken Adam. My last order had a VAST array of manufacturers I didn't want Multiple shipping charges. VLS was the only one who carried everything I was looking for. I knew a few thing would wind up on BO, but I could deal with it. I admit that I should see if Mark can get some of the stuff I needed that's not listed first but I was in a hurry for some of the stuff.

Not to mention I'll probable spent a couple hundred bucks w/ him @ Buffcon anyway.....LOL
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hi

I think that VLS gets a lot of business from their variety of products, and they have those discount programs. True model junkies can get their regular fixes by paying a membership fee, then getting discounts. That's too much of a bait and switch for me, and although I have a lot of plastic, resin and metal in the closet, I don't buy enough to merit paying for a discount!

HobbyLand, Squadron, Greatmodels, DiscountModels and others have all given great service to me thus far.

Cheers
Andy
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 07:22 AM UTC
I agree with the rollmodels and hobbyland. I usually have enough kits in the build pile that shipping time is not critical to me. However, I did have a bad experience with Greatmodels last time and will not be using them again. They gave me a lot of grief about returning something that they had wrongly advertised...not a pleasant experience.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 12:15 AM UTC
Just placed my first order with Roll Model. Didn't really like the 2 to 3 week thing. Will keep track of that. Also another store that I ordered from said 8 day to fill order. Just coming up on 9 so I best be getting that one. Well besides Discount mode, Mission models also is fast on his orders 2 days from LA to Ok. not bad at all.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:30 AM UTC
Mission Models gets stuff to me in 2 days as well and I'm on the opposite coast. Priority Mail is a beautiful thing. :-)
 _GOTOTOP