_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Etch-Grip - A revolution
Librarian
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
I thought you might be interested in my views of the new tool from Small Shop EU, the Etch-Grip and to see if anyone else has used it yet.

In nearly forty-eight years of modelling there has been in my view four revolutions.

First was all those years ago when I opened the box of Tamiyaís 1/35th scale Panzer III.
The second was Verlinden - I donít have to add anything else.
The third was when I got my hands on SSEuís Hold and Fold.
The fourth are the current crop of models coming out from Dragon/Cyber-Hobby, brilliant.

The fifth, is the Etch-Grip from SSEu. It is just so easy.

You turn on the system, put the PE part into the tip and let it heat-up, which takes several seconds.
While you are waiting you cut off a small piece of the special glue and then place it on the PE. Wait for it to melt, then position it onto the model part and see it glide into place. Remove the tip and there you have it, a perfect fit; well not every time, Iím not that good yet, but I am learning.

Is £65 a high price to pay; yes I agree that it is expensive but just look at ALL the benefits. No more buying CA ( Super it certainly is not ) every few weeks, putting the part back on because it has fallen off and all the screaming at the thing as it would not do what you wanted. In the event you have used too much of the special glue, unlike CA, you just clean it up with a sharp blade. No more trying to file the CA away.

The only downside I can see is that you can no longer use the excuse that you are going bald because you are pulling your hair out because of using PE.

Well there you have it, I hope this is of help to you. I hope to see Alasdair tomorrow at EM06 and shake the manís hand as he has made one old manís life a whole lot easier.

All the best

John
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:10 PM UTC
Review by Vinnie with picture goodness is
Here

Shaun
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 06:10 AM UTC
I have to honestly say that from reading the review, and knowing that a 110 volt version is now available, and if I did a lot of photo etched parts, I would probably pick one up.
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC
John.

First it was a pleasure meeting with you and second, a big thank you for you kind words and comments on the Etch-Grip.

My very best and I hope to meet up again really soon

Alasdair
Librarian
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hello Alasdair

The pleasure was all mine, because you have indeed invented a great tool that has made my life a lot easier. I now look forward to using PE, as in the past it was a very great pain to use.

Here's to he next invention from SSEu....something to steady an old man's hand would be very welcome.

John.
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:35 PM UTC
may be WISKEY ??
Darn done before but I can recomend it LOL

Cheers

Alasdair
This post was removed.
This post was removed.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:15 AM UTC
I would like to publicly apologize to John for removing his post earlier today. There was an email sent to us that suggested that this post was not a genuine post but someone from Small Shop posting an "advert". We have investigated this matter and found no evidence this is true. In fact Vinnie has spoken with people who know John and have affirmed he is "real".

It is important to note that I did not remove the post because of this false claim but rather some of my staff's reactions to it. Those posts have been removed and the original post restored. In hindsight I just should have removed their posts and not the entire thread.

Again I am sorry for any trouble this may have caused to John or Alasdair.

Sincerely,
Jim
Librarian
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 11:45 PM UTC
Well, what a mess this has all turned into!

I would like to thank Jim for restoring my post and for his public and private apology.

I just do not understand what happened. I read Vinnieís review of the Etch-Grip, bought the tool and ACTUALLY used it. Because of my use of this revolutionary new tool, I just had to pass on my views and asked for the experiences of others that had bought it.

Next I see that Vinnie and Jim Rae are publicly defending me from someone called Jim Chapman. I think it was Chapman, my memory is not as good as it use to be. Then the post vanishes and I get a slanderous e-mail from the Kitmaker Network Administrator that I was spamming. How would you feel!

From what Jim has stated above, for the last 47 years I have never existed. All the time I have been supporting Crystal Palace was a waste of time (I know it was), all the Genesis concerts I went to see never happened and I never spent the thousands of Pounds on modelling.

This man has the time to accuse me behind my back, do you have the time and guts to accuse me in public. Time will tell. It is not my intention to get into a slanging-match, but I do have the right to defend myself against the accusation(s) that have been made.

Modelling is quality time for all of us. Time to relax after work and try to make this model better than the last. Why do people have to cause trouble!

Alsadair; Iím so sorry for all the trouble this has caused you, I hope it does not hurt your business.

I hope Jim will not remove this, as I do have the right of reply.

Happy modelling to one and all.

John
 _GOTOTOP