_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Is there a model community/club in Sydney
Zed
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 81 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:19 AM UTC
The Title says it all. I never hear of any local community events although I believe there were some in Wollongong.

If you know of anything post here!

Cheers

Nick
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:50 AM UTC
Hi Nick, there are quite a few in Sydney and at least one club ea in Wollongong, Central Coast and Newcastle.

The Sydney Clubs are:

IPMS who meet at the North Ryde RSL one Sat a month, probably the largest club in Sydney in terms of membership (Pick up flyer from Avenue Hobbies)

APMA who meet at the same venue (I think) also on Saturdays 2 weeks different from IPMS. (Pick up flyer from Avenue Hobbies)

MACARTHUR Scale Models , I believe they meet on Friday nights (1st of the month) but I don't know where (ask at Kellets in Liverpool, they will know)

AMMS - Meet 1st friday night of the month at the Blacktown Workers/Travelodge. We have members from all over Australia and many travel from Wollongong, Albury and Canberra (Sometimes even Perth) to attend. We even had one member who travelled from Iraq to attend!
Its a pretty informal club and suitable for beginners to expert. The main focus of the club is Armour modelling but we have AC, SHIP and figure modeller and most of the guys dabble in many types of modelling. We have many members from the other clubs and a lot of cross pollenation occurs in the modelling community in Sydney. I have been a member of most of the clubs list but due to other commitments find it hard to get a free Saturday. I'd recommnd try them out until you find one or more that you feel happy with.
http://www.ammssydney.com/

Here is a link to the Wollongong producer/supplier Dave Hay's Firestorm modellers. He has a link tab for Australian Clubs. BTW Dave is also a member of AMMS and attends frequently. The club has a very good discount deal with Dave and a few other suppliers

http://www.firestormmodels.com/ (Far right tab)

Cheers
AL

Zed
Visit this Community
entire network: 81 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:25 AM UTC
Thanks for that, I will try to find my way there on Oct 6.

Cheers

Nick
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 03:13 PM UTC
We'[d be glad to welcome you aboard. The other clubs are great too and as i said a lot of our members are also members i nthe other clubs. We are very informal (and a bit irreverant at time). A few traders like Ley Reynolds (Books & Mags) and Dave Hay turn up most meetings. We are hoping to have pics of the new Aussie Abrams as Paul Handel the RAAC historian and museum director is a member.
Look forward to seeing you, enjoy the website
 _GOTOTOP