Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Why me?
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 01:55 AM UTC
Does anyone else ever have a case of "WHY ME"?

I went to open the blinds behind my work bench and they fell out of the brackets and landed on my table. I have a few projects going at once and everything was spread around on the table. When the blinds landed they knocked over all sorts of things and launched several parts all over the room. Nothing was broken and I think that I found everything. I guess I won't know until I go to finish the different projects.

Anyway I just thought I would ask if anyone else ever has my luck.

Double check those blinds everyone!!

HARV
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 04:07 AM UTC
You're not the only one... Spilling coffee, forgetting to put the lid on thinner then knocking it over. You name it's happened.
I have two work benches (garage and den) and I can't tell you know many times I will 'put something' away from one to other and forget where it is then search for hours to see where the cat put it....

You're not alone.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 07:27 AM UTC
usualy happens when i procrastinate on projects... if its due friday for example, on thursday night at 10pm il definatly go " OHHH WHY ME!"

perhaps the rain they announce saturday which will prevent me from going paintballing will merit a why me!
:)

Frank
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 05:36 PM UTC
As far as modeling goes I’ve only hade on of those moments so far.
After having dental surgery and still being on painkillers I figured I was able to work on my WWI fighter I had started..... I put blue tack on top of unsealed decals.
A word of advice to all. Drugs and modeling don’t mix.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:50 PM UTC
I remember my first serious build back in 1970 Tamyias Tiger1 early,top of the range in them days.Well I sweated buckets of fear making it so scared i was going to wreck it.Finally completed it and happy with it even swmbo let me put it on the bar top which she used to polish with gusto,in jumps the cat cant get a grip does a direct hit on my masterpiece which flys across the room and hits the fireplace,it looked like it had been hit by a V2 :-)
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:44 AM UTC
I've had my share of mishaps, but two really stick out:

* I finally decide to tackle a newer generation Dragon kit - the 251 "Drilling" model - get on a roll and really enjoy it, only to spill half a bottle of Tenax all over the main assembly, which was lying in pieces around the base. Goodbye back doors, right side, and bottom. I was going to replace the parts from DML, but the cost including shipping for the sprues I was going to need would've been close to the cost of a new kit on sale somewhere. Needless to say, my spares box has grown and come quite in handy as of late!

* When getting back into the hobby a couple of years ago, I started building a lot of Monogram aircraft. I had a B-25J and a P-61 on a bookshelf. The wings hung out into space a bit and I was always steering the kids way from them. Lo and behold, who knocks them off the shelf? Three guesses and the first two don't count. And I believe it was with a box that UPS delivered with model kits in it! Oh the delicious irony...

- Frank
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 08:44 AM UTC
The worse was the exacto knife sticking straight up, blade sunk in my thigh. (Glad that happened before my daily use of blood thinners!)

Next has been getting the dropsies with just about finished models.

And of course the smaller the part, the farther they fly, and the larger the search area.
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 164 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:21 PM UTC
Where do I begin?
Was it the time the X-Acto rolled off the desk and landed straight up; sticking into my socked foot. While stupid me was looking under the table for it. [Thought the pain was from the X-Acto just hitting the foot.]
Could have been when I was putting the finishing touches on an F-4E model. Putting the canopies on, and low and behold if I didn't knock the liquid cement onto it. Which of course the lid wasn't tight on. And it landed on the cockpit, and in the cockpit.
No wait. I remember now. It was while I was building my last Sherman tank. Had it all painted and detailed. And yes I was starting to weather it. When the shelf siting above me decided to come down. Missed my head by a couple of inch's but nailed the Sherman right in the engine deck.
Ah... I love this hobby. :-)
Jerry