History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Most historic place you have been?
ehlikeyf
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC
a very nice topic indeed.

To tell about the historic places I've seen; I can say that, I think I have used the opportunity living in Turkey good and seen most of the historic places around Anatolia. Ephesus, Troy, Cappadocia, Cyprus, Caunos, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Süleymaniye Mosque, Selimiye Mosque seen them all. In fact, my childhood passed in Kayseri (a historical city in the central Anatolia), my home was near a Medrese(ancient university) built in the 13th century.

But the most touching and impressive place I've ever seen is definetely Çanakkale (Dardanelles). Seeing the trenches that both sides (Turks and the ANZACs) fought, visiting the graveyards and seeing the graves of the soldiers of age 17-18 and visiting the museums were all priceless...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 05:32 AM UTC
I suppose the most historical place I've been is Stonehenge. Kind of hard to beat some 3000 years or so of history. When I went there, in 1976, you could still walk in and around the stones. I understand that since that time a fence has been put around the monument to prevent damage. I was able to walk up and put my hand directly onto the stones. I can tell you it felt incredibly old. I'm sure it was just in my mind but I could sense the time that had passed at that place, and the number of souls that had been there. I've I've touched older stones, but none that felt so old.

TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 01:07 AM UTC
Checkpoint Charlie (while we were still in the Cold War).That was why I was in Germany,with the first AD
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 04:58 PM UTC
I've been to a few historic places but as far as which one affected me the most...that's a toss up between Normandy and Iwo Jima. Both were very sobering and humbling. After touring these two sites, and trying to picture what those Soldiers and Marines went through.....I dont know if they make men that brave anymore.