_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Thinning putties
moville
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 02:26 PM UTC
Hi,
I'd like to know what putty people use and how the thin it? Squadron's white and green putty is available to me at the local hobby shop. Do I use Lacqueur thinner? Any other suggestions for filling in the tiny cracks and ejector marks in hard to sand places?

Thanks for any tips,

Andy
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
You guys might laugh at this.....but I don't use those store bought hoby putties. I go to my local hardware store and get myself a tube of wall crack fill. The same stuff you can buy in the tubs to crack fill sheet rock or gyprock on walls...only it comes in a tube. For about the same money, you can get a tube that is about 10 times the size...is of about the same consistancy and sands much easier that hobby putties do. Takes paint just as well!!!
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:56 PM UTC
Interesting. As a modeller on a budget that might work.
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 117 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I used to use crack fill or DAP but it does dry out and it will crack, I found out on a wing root joint one time. For about $12 to $14 depending on the markup for your particular auto parts vendor, pick up a tube of Auto Body Spot Filler, it comes in green, red or white depending on manufacturer and brand. Currently I am using a brand called Nitro-Stan Putty 9001. Its red, sands as easy as DAP is able to take a prime coat then when painted is as stable as the rest of the surface. It is easily thinned down with Testor's Liquid Cement so you can get it in the holey resin castings we sometimes get faced with and without thinning is suitable to use anywhere White and Green Squadron putty is used. Your money buys you a tube that holds a pound of material. I'm a pretty prolific builder and I bought my present tube in 1996. 7 years is not too bad for a tube of putty.
 _GOTOTOP