_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Airbrush question?
werewolf
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:56 PM UTC
What is the best airbrush for a newbie like me and what does the regulator do? is tamiya's spray work good? tnx!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi Werewolf , Im no expert on this subject but I rekon you wont go wrong with a paasche H.it cheap and easy to use I read alot from serious modellers who use this model.If you read the posts on this site you will see the guys reccomend many types its usually good advice. I figure you mean are Tamyia paints good for spraying,i find them ok the colours are good and their easy to use ,but I dont like using them with a hand brush.Oh if you can get a compressor for your air brush it makes life so much easier. all the best .
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
The airbrush is the BEST tool for finishing you can invest in, and it is an investment.
Here are a couple thread links to very related topics
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/7794&page=1
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/6716&page=1

I have a Badger 175, it's a double action brush that I have had for 5 years and LOVE.
I honestly have not read many thread regarding the Tamiya system. Thats not saying its bad, I just don't see much written.
The regulator controls the air pressure going into the brush. You'll see where people shoot at 15 - 20 psi. The regulator is kinda like an accelerator in a car. The PSI controls how hard the paint is sucked into the brush and onto the kit. Very important when you start doing complicated camo schemes with soft edges and when you weather with an air brush.
I would recommend (if your budget can handle it) a compressor over air cans. In the long run you'll be happier. They provide more control and a more reliable air source. You don't run out of air at 2am and have to find the Walmart thats open and has air. Walmart has economical compressors that start right at $90 US. Target does too. They both have on line shopping (don't know what shipping would be )
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
I'll second Slodder's comments!

I've used several different makes and types of airbrushes. I have fallen in love with my Aztek 470. The nozles need to be taken apart every once and while to be thourghly cleaned, but clean-up beats the traditional setup IMO. Buy a compressor at first chance, it is almost more important than the airbrush!!! The reason I love my Aztek so much is it can be used as both a single or a double action a/b. If you are just beginning with airbrushing go for a single action first. If you keep it up you will eventually buy a double action...
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll second Slodder's comments!

I've used several different makes and types of airbrushes. I have fallen in love with my Aztek 470. The nozles need to be taken apart every once and while to be thourghly cleaned, but clean-up beats the traditional setup IMO. Buy a compressor at first chance, it is almost more important than the airbrush!!! The reason I love my Aztek so much is it can be used as both a single or a double action a/b. If you are just beginning with airbrushing go for a single action first. If you keep it up you will eventually buy a double action...

And I'll second Brian's comments about the Aztek 470. Works great for me.
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 04:50 AM UTC
I have the Aztec 470 and use Tamiya XF acrylic paints. Thinning it with their thinner seems to work fine. So far, I have only airbrushed non-complex schemes on my vehicles and I am relatively new to modelling. The thing I like is that the Aztec is real easy to use and relatively an inexpensive investment.

One of the best things though with the Aztec 470 is that if you use Model Master, Polly S or Testors paint, their bottles will attach directly to the airbrush so you can thin your paint in that bottle and store it without transferring to a new jar. I use ModelMaster sand or grey for priming and it saves time upfront. by not having to put paint in another jar

Having said all this, I have started thinking of getting Tamiya's spray works superfine airbrush as I get better and want to do more fine detailing but I will keep the Aztec for base work.

_GOTOTOP