History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
When was VJ day?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 08:27 AM UTC
Since VJ day has passed recently I noticed some debate in local papers as to the actual VJ day. Some consider the last bomb drop while others stated when the surrender was signed. What do you think?

My 2 cents: I would consider when the surrender was signed to be the "official" end to war with Japan. I also found out that Truman actually declared VJ day to be September 2nd instead of the 14th of August. Wierd huh?
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:53 AM UTC
Well I am pretty Sure it is 15 August 1945 the day the Japanese government accepted the Potsdam declaration. You know the day Admiral Halsey said “Do we have enough time to turn around and hit them one more time?” when he was handed the dispatch calling for the cessation of Hostilities. Hope this helps? The formal surrender was 2 September was just for show and formality the shooting stopped 15 August of 45.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:35 PM UTC
I have never heard the day the bomb dropped as VJ. Perhaps it is more symbolic as the day the Japanese realised it was futile to continue the war.

I have heard some say the VJ day is the day the Japanese notified the Allied they would surrender and I have heard VJ day being the day they signed the documents. The day they dropped the bomb doesn't make much sense since there was still figthing for many days afterwards.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 03:38 AM UTC
Maybe this will help everyone out.

HARV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_over_Japan_Day
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have never heard the day the bomb dropped as VJ. Perhaps it is more symbolic as the day the Japanese realised it was futile to continue the war.

That's what I thought! I wondered who really considered that to be the end. Probably some newspaper jerk who's not much on history! :-)

If you really think about it all the dates that HARV showed us in the link (good Link!) makes sense for one reason or another. I'm just dissapointed that the media can't seem to get facts correct when talking about important historical subjects.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 12:39 AM UTC
I had always thought it to be Sept.2, but I guess it does make sense that it is 15 Aug as that is when Japan agreed to surrender and ordered their troops to quit fighting. Don't know if the move to call it VP instead of VJ is doing it to become "Politically Correct" or the reason is to relate it to VE, but I have my suspicions.
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 282 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hello all
This is an interesting point.

Traditionally, VJ Day comemorates the end of hostilities between Japan and the Allied forces. A few dates actually fit that bill: The Japanese Government accepted the Potsdam terms on 10 Aug, whilst the Emperor made a formal radio announcement on 14 Aug. The official signature of the surrender took place on 2 Sept.

I suppose all three represent a possible option, but I believe the ' official' VJ Day is 15 Aug 1945, the day after the radio announcement by Emperor Hirohito.

Interesting discussion!

Cheers
Garth