Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Coupons and Discounts
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 03:55 AM UTC
I've noticed that a few large online hobby shops have a box where one can enter a coupon or discount number right before checking out.

Have any of you ever received those personal coupon or discounts? How does one qualify? Are they birthday email coupons or does one have to spend over $150 or what? Have you ever received any?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 04:39 AM UTC
Model Expo used to include a discount code in their e-mail flyers. It was handy back when they used to sell plastic kits (they now do high-end ship models).
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC
DragonUSAonline included two coupon codes with their shipment of the King Tiger. One is for $5 off a purchase of $50 or more and the other is $10 off an order of $100. Aftermarket Armor provided one for 20% off but when I tried to use it the shipping cost went up. Other than that I've not found a discount for any online shops.

Scott
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 06:59 PM UTC
The only ones I've seen have been through site specials when you add your name to the online retailer's mailing list. I've gotten specials through DragonUSAOnline, LuckyModel, and Spruebrothers.

I think Great Models leaves it on there as they only issue store credit on returns and it looks like they give you a code to punch in when you use it.

- Frank
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
A lot of vendors at IPMS Nationals were handing out coupons for online purchases good for X days following the show if they didn't have what you wanted at the show. I guess it sort of relieved some of the shipping costs that you would have to pay since you couldn't get it on the spot.

The guys at DragonUSA handed out coupons just for showing up at their table.