Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Harold Coyle Fans
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC
I really enjoy reading Harold coyle's books especially Team Yankee. Does anyone know of any other authors similar to Harold Coyle? (Besides the obvious like Tom Clancy and Stephen Coonts.)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really enjoy reading Harold coyle's books especially Team Yankee. Does anyone know of any other authors similar to Harold Coyle? (Besides the obvious like Tom Clancy and Stephen Coonts.)

Not that this information will help you, but he had served in the same battalion as I did (long before I came around). Our battalion commander had been the A Co. Commander back then and Coyle was the B Co. Commander at the same time.

The story he wrote about was basically our battalion and company's missions had the Cold War turned hot. It was just about required reading in our battalion.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
He was 2 years behind me at VMI (and I think that would put him 2 years ahead of Steve Joyce) but for some reason I never ran into him.

I've read something like 315 "military techno-thriller" books over the last 20 or so years, and I think that as far as ground combat books are concerned, he's the best.

I've read 14 of his books including two set in the Civil War and one during the French and Indian war, and have found all of them to be for the most part realistic and hard to put down.

One other author who comes to mind is Ralph Peters. I really like his Bravo Romeo, Red Army, and The War in 2020. I've read five additonal of his books which are all very good, but deal more with espionage/intrigue as opposed to combat.

Another author who's work I enjoyed but may be hard to find is Ed Ruggero.

For some reason the majority of the stuff I've read is either more "geopolitical" (Clancy/Coonts) or Navy/Air Force related rather than ground combat.

Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 02:40 AM UTC
I knew him quite well as he was the VMI tanker platoon leader at VMI when I was a 3rd (Sophomore).

As to similar writers, the first one that popped into mind was Coonts, and then Dale Brown and Larry BOnd. Usually when WEB Griffith starts a series it is great, but then he gets redudnant and drags out the books to ridiculous levels. Get his Lieutentants and Captains and some of his beginning Marine Corp books.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 07:44 AM UTC
Dale Brown wrote a pretty good series of books about the Air Force. Flight of the Old Dog

W.E.B. Griffin's Brotherhood of War series were great!

Anyone remember who wrote that book in the late 80s about the LRRPs in Vietnam? I think the title was "Charlie Mike" The author was a Lt. Col in the 82nd. Another good one.

"Gardens of Stone", another good title.

Of course, as an ex-MP I would recommend...Saigon Commandos
F4phreak
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 08:54 AM UTC

Leonard Scott wrote Charlie Mike, The Hill and The Last Run. All very good books
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 08:03 AM UTC
You might want to try Larry Bond. He collaborated with Tom Clancy on Red Storm Rising if my memory isn't failing me. Excellent books on Korea, South Africa and Europe.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Leonard Scott wrote Charlie Mike, The Hill and The Last Run. All very good books

Leonard Scott, that right! Though I have to confess, I didn't realize that he had additional works.