_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Sanding sticks at Hobby Lobby
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hobby Lobby used to carry sanding sticks that came in an assortment bag. Fairly cheap. Nice and flexible. I've moved away from the old Hobby Lobby and the two on my side of town now don't these.

Anybody seen these at another Hobby Lobby or does someone know of a replacement item. I can't remember the brand.

Thanks,
Paul
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC
The Hobby Lobby in my area has stopped carrying them as well. It sounds like the entire chain might have quit selling sanding sticks. Fortunately I still have some but the supply is dwindling quickly.

Squadron sells sanding sticks but not the thin, little strips, which I found most usefull.

Scott
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
With a trip to Starbucks and then Lowes you'll have all the custom sized, shaped sanding sticks you can shake a stick at.

Get the coffee stir sticks from Starbucks (or local coffe joint that has wooden sticks).
Get a few sheets of various grits of sandpaper from Lowes or you local hardware store.

Then a bit of white glue to adhere the paper to the stick - let it dry cut off the excess paper and shazam - sanding stick.

They are decently flexible, you can cut them to a point or odd shapes if necessary. They can be any grade/type of sand paper. And are cheap.
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 04:49 AM UTC
That's a great idea, Scott. I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks,

Scott
Stratojet
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 06:02 AM UTC

IF YOU DARE!

Beauty supply stores carry nail sticks that work really well, some are double grit, even quadruple grit, and usually less than two bucks apiece.
The super fine ones will polish plastic like a mirror...... they're washable, cutable and best of all.... available!
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IF YOU DARE!

Beauty supply stores carry nail sticks that work really well, some are double grit, even quadruple grit, and usually less than two bucks apiece.
The super fine ones will polish plastic like a mirror...... they're washable, cutable and best of all.... available!

Is there something wrong with going to a Beauty supply store? I see this all the time
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 09:57 AM UTC
I think I found it:
http://www.ehobbytools.com/index.html?target=p_468.html&lang=en-us. $3 a pack but $7 minimum shipping.

I thought the ones I got were in 4 grit assortment on 2 types of sticks/strips but this is the closest I've seen. Much more flexible than those sanding 'wands'.

I have tried Slodder's idea before but I used some thick styrene rod.

Paul
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 04:46 PM UTC
Oh, the old swizzle sticks, I pick them up at the local hobby shop.
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC

That looks like them to me.

Scott
Stratojet
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 09:17 AM UTC
Nah.... not really....

I go there myself and buy standing sticks.... I just always have a feeling that the girly-man committee is watching and will post my picture on the web or something....

Noticed you have mopar in your name.... cool.... at one time, I had a Chrysler (Imperial, actually) a Fury Convertible and a Dodge Intrepid and part ownership of a 67 New Yorker.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 03:32 PM UTC
Those sticks from ehobby look round - yes - no - maybeso?
tabascojunki
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

IF YOU DARE!

Is there something wrong with going to a Beauty supply store? I see this all the time

Not a thing at all.

Those are the ones I started using. Sally's beauty supply has a set of four 2-sided sticks with 4 different grits, each stick with the same grit on both sides. They go from rough to the polishing stick, and the set's only 3 or 4 bucks.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
Paul,

I've been meaning to visit my local HL soon. I'll check to see if they have any. I have two packages. I'd be willing to send you one if you want. Just PM me.

Mortars all the way brother!
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
People,

I live and die be Sally's. WAIT till they go on sale for under a dollar, then clean up. I STILL hav ethe ones I got years ago. They wash up nicely, have a lot of choices in grit (mine are 100, 180, 220, 320,400, and 600, Love the pink!) It may not be the most male thing I have ever done, but it has save me more money than I can count at this point. The biggest problem with them, KEEPING THE OWMBO out of the model room. I offered to superglue her fingers together last time, did not go over very well.

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:11 PM UTC
OK - we stock a jillion different grit sanding sticks at the store (squadron brand as well as Tamiya).... prices range from 99 cents and up.... the grand opening is this Saturday - Sept. 16th... save yourself the shipping charge and just come on in...

17062 Preston Road (SE Corner of Preston and Campbell road.)

ph: 972-380-8900

And of course, Armorama members get the biggest discount 20% off, and Silver/Gold members on Armorama get 25% off...

Shameless plug - but hey, gotta brag about our new store!

KFMAgee
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:20 AM UTC
I will try to stop in on Saturday Keith, that's draft day for our league so it'll be a busy day but I'll try. It's finally here! Woo-hoo!
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 717 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
Woo Hoo Indeed! What time are you opening the doors?
tabascojunki
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 09:05 AM UTC
I'll be by sometime Saturday.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:44 AM UTC
Damn Keith, I almost missed it. I was looking for a whole new thread to announce the opening. I just happened to come back to this thread because of all the activity I saw and as it involved some of our guys. I'm suer you are quite aware that the other guy never made it to the show. I got there around 9:15 found the designated table. Jim came by around 11 and knocked me out of my daze / doze (late night !) I wish I had had some flyers to hand out, The store is on the corner of Preston and Campbell ?? That is a lot closer than originally projected. That also is a heavily trafficked area. COOL Beans as the man says !!!!!
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK - we stock a jillion different grit sanding sticks at the store (squadron brand as well as Tamiya).... prices range from 99 cents and up.... the grand opening is this Saturday - Sept. 16th... save yourself the shipping charge and just come on in...

17062 Preston Road (SE Corner of Preston and Campbell road.)

ph: 972-380-8900

And of course, Armorama members get the biggest discount 20% off, and Silver/Gold members on Armorama get 25% off...

Shameless plug - but hey, gotta brag about our new store!

KFMAgee

Thanks Keith....you just HAD to wait until I moved from Texas to open a REAL model store (I would have driven from Midland to visit).

I guess I'll have to wait until you're up and running to place an online order to support this new venture.

Good luck to you in the new venture.

Dave
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:04 AM UTC
HoLo has seemed to stop carrying the sanding sticks. I either get them from a LHS when I get to K.C. or just go to the beauty supply isle in the store. I've found that the sticks used for nail "polishing" work best for what we are doing IMHO.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 717 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC
I have found several useful items at dollar stores along these lines... my favorite is one that has 6 different grades of abrasives on it, from heavy removal to buffing & polishing.
 _GOTOTOP