_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Pastel problems.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC
Well I’m having trouble with pastels.

I used them on the base for my dio and then sprayed testors flat coat over them to seal them.
It appears that the coat blended all the colors together.

Any idea what happened and how I should go about sealing the work after redoing the pastels?
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 943 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi Jacob

I allways apply pastels or pigments as a final stage then try to avoid handling the subject (although pigments do appear to stand handling better than pastels ), as you have noticed applying dull coat causes the pastel or pigment to "dissapear"

However I would be interested to see if anyone else has come up with a sollution to this problem.

Ian
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 04:45 AM UTC
Hi Jacob,

This same problem has happened to me with Dulcote over weathering powders. On my last build I used an artists' workable fixative to seal Mig Pigments with no change to the pigments. The fixative comes in a spray can and is a colorless finish for patels, chalks, etc. It can be found at art supply stores. I got mine at Hobby Lobby.

Hope this helps,

Scott
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:31 AM UTC
Thanks Scott I’ll see about giving the stuff a try.

I don’t think not sealing things would work well around here. Living in the woods plus having a dog I need to dust the kits off every so often and would be afraid of removing the pigments or touching them while dusting.
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:36 AM UTC
I use hairspray hold it at a distance and let the mist fall on desired area, Do not spray direct or you will blow every thing away. works fine with me and never had any probs

redleg
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 164 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi there all
What has worked for me in the past is sort of reverse. I spray my last coat of dull coat down wait for it to get tacky then apply my pastels. They seem to stick to the subject without blending down. I use a very soft brush to do this with. I can actually blend in the pastels at times around the edges to get a more subtle effect this way.
Jerry
 _GOTOTOP