_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
correct lens
k98
Visit this Community
Vizcaya, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC
I bought a canon Eos 300' and I`m wondering what lens I should use for my model pics???

thanks in advance

tom[:::]
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
I just took a look at the Canon site and there are about 6 macro lenses or accessories. It would be best to go to your local retailer and tell them wht you want to do and let them guide you. Back in the ancient days, many lens companies made wide angle and zoom lenses that had macro featers on them. There were also extension tubes you could place between the lens and the body to turn a "normal" lens into a super macro lens.
Finally, you can take a look at the lens and see if there's a listing on the barrel that says "Macro."
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
SLRs are nice for everyday pics, but I still like my old Canon FT...set the depth of field to exactly what I want and not the camera's way of seeing it. I'd like to use my old #2 Brownie but it's rather difficult to find film for...go figure. :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 09:18 PM UTC
The standard lens (18-55mm) works fine with me. But if you're not satisfied or have money to spend, grab any macro lens plus the life converter lens. That should give you best results.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:47 PM UTC
Put the camera on a tripod. Essential!

Set the camera to manual or aperture priority. Use the standard lens and set to the lowest F stop e.g. F32.

Set it for a long exposure to match the F stop e.g. 6 seconds (the camera viewfinder will tell you when exposure is correct).

Use the timer to take the picture so you are not touching the camera. This will obliterate camera shake from you pressing the shutter release.

This should take a good picture with all of the model in focus.
Attu
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
A Sigma 105mm Macro would be a nice lens for taking photos of your models but you will also need a tripod unless youve already got one.

Andy
 _GOTOTOP