_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Black Hawk Down Helicopter
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
Can anybody tell me which make of Black Hawk is best in 1:35? Looking for the sort used in Black Hawk Down - with that nose cone thing... Any help would be geat. (Hope I put this in the right section.)
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC
I beleive the ones used in Blackhawk down were MH-60s.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 09:16 PM UTC
As for manufacturer's, Academy seems to have the 1:35 market cornered when it comes to choppers. They make a UH-60, MH-60, and AH-60 DAP all in 1:35. I've got them in my stash, just waiting to free up some shelf space for them!

Also check out Cobra Company (www.cobracompany.com) for resin updates for the kits.

Hope that helps!

- Frank
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 02:24 AM UTC
Thanks guys! Just looked those Black Hawk types up on google - but they all seem the same to me! :-) Which would I be best off with for a Black Hawk Down diorama - in the early 1990's?
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC
Academy's original Blackwawk kit would probably be good, except I believe it only comes with M2 .50 Cal machine guns, no miniguns, so it wouldn't be movie compatible. You may be able to modify the Blackhawk DAP, or even easier, find an update set that does come with the miniguns.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hello Harry,
Yes the Academy AH-60L DAP kit no. #2217 is a great starting point. Just a small tid bit here, the Army never designated their Black Hawks with an A’. They were in the M’s family such as MH-60L.

If you would like a more realistic cockpit area…seats, upper, lower, and instrument panels, collective and such, then I would suggest using Cobra Companys...MH-60L resin set that will enhance the cockpit.

Some of the external modifications used during the Task Force Ranger missions was that the DAP (Direct Action Penetrator) kits were not in use, and they didn't have the Plume Detectors back then either. There was a weather radar fairing on the nose, FLIR turret, and a few added antennas such a the SATCOM, UHF and IIRC. Also missing was the cabin fuel tanks, and since the missions were so close they needed the cabin room to pack in as many soldiers as they could. Also the refueling probe weren’t on the Black Hawks during the time Somalia and some of the sensors weren’t available at the time as well, so you’ll have to check for references. Best bet is to do a google.com image search.

Here are two great sites that will/may help you to start out with. The one site is in Russin, but it has some great reference photos.
site one and site two

Also there are some sites that have dedicated Black Hawk Down post and threads that you’ll find very interesting.
ARC helicopter forum and over at FSM

Both have a search box, so type in Black Hawk Down, Black Hawk, Super 64...you get the picture.

Hopefully Gino will chime in here and add in his thoughts and expertise on this matter.

Joe
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hello Kevin, yes the Academy DAP kit does come with the mini guns and the M60's

Joe
 _GOTOTOP