Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Should I or Shouldn't I?
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC
This might sound crazy at the ripe old age of 41, but I'm seriously looking into going back in the National Guard or Army Reserve to finish out my 20 years. That leaves me with about 13 to go. I have been speaking to recruiters from both branches over the last month and it sounds like all I'd need to do is pass the physical, which shouldn't be a problem. I'd return at the same rank I had when I got out last time and they would pay off my entire student loan and give me $15,000 for a six year enlistment once I'm MOSQ. The Guard will even pay for 75% of a Masters program.
I'd like to become an officer, but I have to remain enlisted for a year before I can obtain a direct commission, and that's if I can get the age waiver required. I'm told they are hurting for officers, so that may not be as big a problem as one might think.
My wife is very supportive at this point, but naturally doesn't want me getting shipped over to the big sand box. I'd likely return to a training unit as an instructor or try to become a drill sergeant.

I'm interested in knowing what my big "A" friends think about such a move at my age.

Heck, if nothing else, it sure would be a good way to get good photos and reference material for some of my models...and I'd be willing to share...
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 07:07 PM UTC
Having no military experience but years of over 40 experience I can't see putting my body through training.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 07:58 PM UTC
If that's what you want ...go for it.
Age shouldn't be a limiting factor unless it's accompanied by some debilitating physical ailment.
The benefits seem to be outstanding (payoff of student loan et al).
Whatever you choose, best of luck to you.

Cheers,
Charles
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 05:03 AM UTC
I sure do envy you Darryl, I wish I only had your health, heck I love to get back in. Also you have the wife’s support…well then what’s your wait. I’d say yes get back in, finish up your time. Good luck with it all, be happy to hear your decision.

Joe
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 08:29 AM UTC
I think "I" would define crazy as having my son born the same year I turned 40, last year...or running out for the newest model and swinging by just in time @ the local hallmark for my wifes anny card.
MY only question to you is are you sure you want to start out as an officer and then finish your days/time "working for a living" as a drill sergeant?
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 08:32 AM UTC
Your call. But I'd say "DO IT!" Look at the pro's and con's. Simple, if there are more pro's, then what's the question? If there are not, then soulsearch.

Mike
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

MY only question to you is are you sure you want to start out as an officer and then finish your days/time "working for a living" as a drill sergeant?

Actually, I would become a drill first, then an officer, which may not even work out. If that's the case, I want to be qualified to do something I feel I will enjoy. Always wanted to be a drill, and while it's not the same as doing it on active duty, I'm certain I can handle it two weeks out of the year, even at my age. Heck, I might even be able to motivate them young pups by showing them this old man can still keep up with them. I'm thinking longer term for the officer thing, but I need to get the ball rolling if I'm going to do it, cause I'm not getting any younger, and this could be my last chance to do any of it.

I'll let you all know what I decide. Hope to have the final questions answered by my recruiters late next week, if not sooner. Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the thoughts.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 05:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope to have the final questions answered by my recruiters late next week, if not sooner. Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the thoughts.

I have no advice either way but remember those guys will promise you the sun, moon and stars to get you to sign up and if five years from now you get posted to Iraq it'll be no use saying "But they told me when I enlisted....."
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 07:05 PM UTC
You'd be surprised at the lack of physical conditioning of some recruits. When my 20 yr old stepson enlisted, he took a diagnostic pre-APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) that comprised the three elements of the regular APFT but only half as long. He had to do 1 minute of push ups, 1 minute of sit ups and a 1 mile run (regular APFT is 2 mins each and a 2 mile run).

He ran his 1 mile run in just over 15 minutes. He was extremely proud of himself. He asked me how fast I ran my APFT in. I told him normally around 14:30-14:45. He thought he was almost as good as me, then I told him my time was for 2 miles, not 1. I'm not a PT stud by any means, but I can hold my own against most teenagers in the Army.

Re-enlisting into the Reserves of Guard does not mean you will ship out tomorrow. Even enlisting active does not mean this. You will be with your unit for a period of time to train up for any deployment.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:13 PM UTC
Darryl,
Ultimately the choice is yours. However, you will be able to impart you real world experience and maturity to new recruits - that's saying alot. I wish you well.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
If you feel that you can pass a physical then I say go for it. Another thing you might want to do is talk to some of the guys in the units and see what its like now
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 12:14 AM UTC
All good advice guys. Still waiting to hear the answer to a few questions. Right now the NG recruiter is trying hard to get me, but can only come up with instructor slots that are way too far away to be practical. I'd burn up my weekend pay driving to get there!
The Reserve recruiter is still trying to get hold of someone at a training unit in Ft. Thomas, Ky. to see if I can get a slot there as an instructor or Drill, which is where I'm leaning. Thanks again.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 01:15 AM UTC
Darryl,

I'm not sure what to tell you. I've thought about this as well. Same route, commission, age waiver, the whole ball of wax. I know a lot of guys who are going back (all ex-MPs). They dropped the weight, passed the PT test, and like you might be, was sent to TRADOC. It's a matter of what you really want my brother. I know if you do go back, these youngsters will have a rock- solid NCO to teach them ropes.

Hope you don't mind them calling you "Pops" :-)

Best of luck my brother
Steve

Pssst.....Military Police...that's the MOS to have man!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He ran his 1 mile run in just over 15 minutes..

One mile? It's not two miles anymore?

By the way...my personal best on the two mile run, 14:50...and then I puked.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 01:20 AM UTC
If you are going for your masters, you might be able to slot into an ROTC position. I am not sure how the graduate student part fits in, but if its a 2 year masters program, you may be able to SMP and do your 2 years in the advanced course (MSIII and MSIV years).

If you haven't already, check the pay grade to see what you'd be paid as a 2nd LT through Captain and compare it to what you are now (I'm assuming E-6?). I know many higher enlisted don't opt for a commission as that essentially is a pay cut for them.

Jeff
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

He ran his 1 mile run in just over 15 minutes..

One mile? It's not two miles anymore?

By the way...my personal best on the two mile run, 14:50...and then I puked.

It is 2 miles but for new recruits, they are given a 1 minute/1 minitue/1 mile pseudo test before they can go to basic. My personal best was 11:38 as a young ROTC cadet and 12:11 as an officer right after airborne school. As an over 40 field grade officer, my best is 14:21 I did about 2 years ago.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are going for your masters, you might be able to slot into an ROTC position. I am not sure how the graduate student part fits in, but if its a 2 year masters program, you may be able to SMP and do your 2 years in the advanced course (MSIII and MSIV years).

If you haven't already, check the pay grade to see what you'd be paid as a 2nd LT through Captain and compare it to what you are now (I'm assuming E-6?). I know many higher enlisted don't opt for a commission as that essentially is a pay cut for them.

Jeff

I wasn't aware that may be a possibility, but I can look into it. Actually, I'm only going back in as an E-5.

As I understand it, both the NG and Reserves have a direct commission option provided I am able to obtain the necessary age waiver. I would then have to attend an officer basic course depending on what branch I choose. I'm told that with my past record and qualifications, and the fact that both the NG and Reserves are hurting for officers, I shouldn't have too much trouble getting the waiver. Just hope that doesn't change once I'm back in boots. That's why I want to speak with someone from the unit I plan on going to first.

Sabot,

That's a really good time for two miles. Something for me to aspire to. My best time ever was just under 12 minutes, when I was going for my EIB at Ft. Bragg. Of course I was 18 at the time, had been to basic and airborne school earlier that year and had PT every morning at Bragg, so I was in pretty darn good shape. Never been able to do it again though

Steve,

I really appreciate the vote of confidence. Either way, officer or enlisted, I'll do my best to lead by example. Thanks Brother!