TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Dambusters re-make back on cards
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 06:28 PM UTC
Luckily not by Mel Gibson

Dambusters

David
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:13 PM UTC
I hope its as good as the classic film that I watch with Dad!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:05 AM UTC
These concerns are natural.

Speaking as a fellow New Zealander I am quitely confident Peter Jackson will do a superb job of the remake.

I am sure it wont be another Pearl Harbour.

Regards

Sean
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 03:42 AM UTC
I hope Peter J does a Lord of the rings, Rather than a King Kong - which IMHO was aspecial effect film, with no substance or plot.

Andy
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:27 AM UTC
I loved the way Peter Jackso kept his version of King Kong true to the original classic. This makes me think he would do the same for this one. Rather than have model planes superimposed over scenery, the computer graphics and the original storyline would make ths an instant clssic. And despite the recent controversies with Mel Gibson, as an actor I persoanlly feel he would be an asset.
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 05:29 AM UTC
Good to see that this is for real. When rumours about a new Dambusters movie started circulating earlier in the year they were firmly denied by PJ.

Peter Jackson has a real feel for aviation, and I'm sure he will stick to his promise to make this as authentic as possible. Can't wait!

Jeff W.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hmmmmmmmm...

As much as I'm almost forced by patriotic duty to admire Peter Jackson, I can't help feeling that we'd be better served with something other than a remake of what was essentially a post-war propaganda piece about a bombing raid of little strategic value...

I'd prefer to see a movie about Bomber Command focusing on the hellish losses suffered by the brave young men who served, with an equal emphasis on the hellish losses suffered by the civilian population on the ground - but I can't help thinking that a movie about the firebombing of Dresden et al might not be too popular at the box office.

I know PJ is an aviation enthusiast and his attention to detail will be second to none - however, a nagging doubt remains about this project, and that is, Why?

$0.02

acav out
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 10:17 AM UTC
My philosophy is if it's not broken why try to fix it. The original "Dambusters" was a superb film which is always a joy to watch. Why not do a hypothetical film compiled from experiences of Bomber Command crews. Pretty much on the same basis of "Memphis Belle" but better. It seems somewhat disrespectful to do a film about one high profile mission that was nothing more than a propaganda mission. Lets face it German output continually rose throughout the war even after the dams were blown up. My grans cousin was shot down over L'Orient in 1942 bombing the U-Boat pens (tail gunner on Wimpys) but people like him are forgotten. A generic bomber command film would be much better. Len Deighton's "Bomber" would be a good one to work from.....
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 10:27 AM UTC
Or two films.....one for the Bomber Command and one for the Fighter Command.
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. It seems somewhat disrespectful to do a film about one high profile mission that was nothing more than a propaganda mission. Lets face it German output continually rose throughout the war even after the dams were blown up. My grans cousin was shot down over L'Orient in 1942 bombing the U-Boat pens (tail gunner on Wimpys) but people like him are forgotten. A generic bomber command film would be much better. Len Deighton's "Bomber" would be a good one to work from.....

The raid was far more than a 'propaganda mission; and to say so trivialises the sacrifices made by the crews of the 617 Squadron aircraft which didn't make it back. It also overlooks the ingenuity of Barnes Wallis who, at a time when such precision bombing was a pipe-dream, envisaged and made a weapon which could destroy such important targets. That German output rose during the war is no fault of 617 Squadron who carried out the job they were formed to do.

The biggest problem with 'Operation Chastise' was the lack of follow-up by Bomber Command to further disrupt or stop repair work on the dams.

Nor do I believe that your gran's cousin or any of the crews of Bomber Command have been forgotten - read Martin Middlebrooks' 'The Nuremburg Raid, 'The Battle of Hamburg' (and others on the Berlin raids, and the Peenemunde operation) or Max Hastings 'Bomber Command'

Jeff W.

spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 05:47 PM UTC
Just a few thoughts in response to what's been said already.

Quoted Text

I hope Peter J does a Lord of the rings, Rather than a King Kong - which IMHO was aspecial effect film, with no substance or plot.

It's all about the script. LOTR was a great detailed one. King Kong, obviously not.

Quoted Text

Why?

Quoted Text

My philosophy is if it's not broken why try to fix it.

Well, how many young people are interested in seeing the original version? Very few, I'd estimate. If you want today's youth (God, I sound old ) to learn about history, you have to retell the old stories with today's feel. Like with 'Memphis Belle', 'Saving Private Ryan' etc.

Quoted Text

Well, Fighter Command had its movie, Dark Blue World .

Quoted Text

Len Deighton's "Bomber" would be a good one to work from....

Or David Fiddimore's Tuesday's War . Brilliant.

Also, you might note that both PJ's greatest hits have been remake's of famous (or infamous) movies, so he's going with that trend.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
Well, I take the point about 'today's kids', and let's remember that a 'DamBusters' movie will make a boffo spin-off PS3 game, not to mention all the other merchandising opportunities... (1/35 scale Lancaster anyone..?)

Today's 'kids' can be tomorrow's film buffs if exposed to enough movie history - that's to say, with good parenting and a decent education , any child capable of going to see the new 'DamBusters should be opeen to the idea of accepting the original for what it is... , and they can be tomorrow's modelers (or history buffs or 'DamBusters' PS3 game World Champion...) if tempted by the right gear.

Good on PJ for doing the film - I still dig the original ( plus all those other period films - 'Appointment in London' anyone..?) and would prefer to see a more generic Bomber Command film made from the myriad stories that need to be told from that time and place...

To tell the truth, this wonderful man says it better than anyone...

acav out
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Today's 'kids' can be tomorrow's film buffs if exposed to enough movie history - that's to say, with good parenting and a decent education ,

To tell the truth, this wonderful man says it better than anyone...

acav out

Sums things up nicely. The story of the raids on the dams is compelling because 617 Squadron was a unit made up of ordinary men, some barely out of their teens, who were trained to do something out of the ordinary, and for the most part, succeeded. It's still a story well worth retelling.

There's still room for a movie or two dealing with Bomber Command's war, told from the perspective of 'ordinary' crews; during the war films like
'Target for Tonight' were made, in this case with 149 Squadron aircrew ; one of those involved was P C Pickard, who led the raid on Amiens Prison by 487 (NZ), 464 (RAAF) and 21 Mosquito Squadrons.

Jeff W.
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 04:33 PM UTC
I'd love to see a flick with Hampdens, Wellingtons and so on in.....
Is there any flying around that's good?
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 516 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, Fighter Command had its movie, Dark Blue World .

Or indeed

The Battle of Britain

Sean
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 05:44 AM UTC
I think that this particular mission gets singled out more because of the strange and unique weapon involved.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
See the name of Gibson's dog is being changed from Nigger to trigger just because it's not PC well can someone tell me why it's Ok for the word to be used in "urban flicks"............the loons are taking over the world!
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

See the name of Gibson's dog is being changed from Nigger to trigger just because it's not PC well can someone tell me why it's Ok for the word to be used in "urban flicks"............the loons are taking over the world!

I'd guess the acceptability of 'the N-word' in 'urban flicks' is down to context - it's most often used brother on brother or to imply hatred, both of which would fit the genre.

Now historically, the name of Gibson's dog is also in context - but it wil likely not survive the film making process.

Me, I'd call the little feller Nugget, a brand of shoe polish here in NZ which comes in all colours including - most definitely - black...

$0.02

acav out
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 04:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It really is getting pathetic, so does that mean next time an Ausie calls me pommy I should get upset? Don't think so. :-)

pommy: a disparaging term for English immigrants to Australia or New Zealand

If I can move to New Zealand they can call me what they like

Why do they have to call the dog by name, Gibson could just say "here boy" instead, hell it aint in the film for long anyway.

Why change history just to keep the PC crowd happy.