Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
are your kids into war
Ego
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 03:57 PM UTC
Thanks to my interest in modelling and building dioramas my 5 year old son has also developed a very keen interest in anything to do with WWII.

I will admit to fuelling his interest by letting him watch the odd war movie with me and playing WWII computer games. On the one hand I’m really impressed with his interest and enthusiasm but on the other it’s kind of awkward when we have visitors and all he wants to talk about is D-Day or the battle of Stalingrad.

I remember playing war games when I was a kid out the back yard with a wooden machine gun, what’s changed now is the technology, detail and realism of the games we play. Is this a concern or just part of growing up in the information age?
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
My son's only 3, so he hasn't shown much of an interest beyond Bob the Builder, but I think I wouldn't let a 5-year-old watch war movies. Some of the older (and I mean, John Wayne era) movies don't have much blood, but newer ones are pretty gory.

Same with PC games like MOH. Wouldn't let a kid that young play 'em. They are still nothing like the real thing (obviously) but they will desensitise a player to death and killing.

I had a very early interest in war and weapons (early teens), and that did graduate into me joining the Army and going to war. I have no problem with my son having an interest in it too, but you should watch out for the PC games and movies.

Try comics.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 11:17 PM UTC
My 8 y.o. son is starting to develop an interest, mainly in the aircraft side of military history. It's fun taking him through the aircraft aisle at the hobby shop and seeing him point out WWII aircraft from both sides he'd like to build or have a model of.

Like other boys of his age (and like me at his age), he loves to run around with toy guns and get the bad guys, but I do notice that he and his buddies' way of getting the bad guns is a lot more graphic than mine was back in the good ol' days. To that end, we've limited the amount of war-related video games and movies.

To be honest, I've thought about letting him watch something more graphic just to remove that romanticism of war from his mind, but I can't bring myself to take away that little bit of "innocence" (for lack of a better word). Besides, my wife was just saying last night that she likes that he's learning history with me while we build our model kits. That means approved $$$ for the hobby shop!

- Frank
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hi Ethan

I have three boys 9 , 7 and 5.

They all have an interest in tanks guns and armies.

My seven year old is a member here "Mattyboy". He has 1/72nd soldiers and two 1/72nd Airfix tanks (a Tiger and Panther). He has the strongest interest.

The only war movies they have watched with me is Das Boot (not the beginning part) and an old black and white movie Rommel with James Mason.

All three do play soldiers and cowboys and indians amongst various other activities like racing cars, robots etc out in the backyard with sticks as guns etc. Its not just technology that my boys rely on they also use their own imaginations and what is available to play with. Last weekend they all played an imaginary game as "Indiania Jones".

I have Playstation 2 games equating to two which I play and they do not. MOH and Call of Duty.

Whilst I do not buy into the Political Correctness prevalent today nor do I actively encourage this interest in my boys. They are encouraged to be balanced and normal individuals and all their interests are fostered.

I explain to them and share my interests with them (which also include motorsport ,golf ,rugby etc) if they take it up and share it witrh me great stuff. In the meantiume they get to know their old Dad better.

They do often come with me to my LHS.

I think its great your son shares your interest.

Regards

Sean
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:01 PM UTC
My children are exposed to the trappings of a military life on an everyday basis. They see me and neighbors go to work every day in camouflage uniforms. They drive by numerous display tanks on their way to and from school. They go to school with friends who have not see their dad (or mom) because of a current deployment. There's not a school function that goes by that you do not see many parents in uniform. My 9 year old son goes to a school named after General Walton H. Walker (of M41 Walker Bulldog fame).

My 16 year old step son volunteers at the post urban warfare center. He serves as a role player for various special forces and regular military units in a variety of roles. He always comes back with war stories, many times with welts from paint ball ammunition strikes. My nephew went a few times when he was visiting. He thought he would be Billy Badass on his first trip. He literally got butt stroked to the forehead and had an M16A2 butt stock imprint on his forehead. (His dad was rolling on the floor laughing when he saw him). He went back every time they needed volunteers while he was here.

Our neighborhood is near the army airfield and the sounds of AH-64 Apache attack helicopters and C-130 Hercules cargo airplanes are an everyday sound. Every so often paratroopers are visible jumping out of the airplanes floating to the airfield below.

Everyday the sounds of tank gunnery echo through the fort along with the rat-a-tat-tat of machine gun fire from the MILES warehouse.

Are they into war? No, not really. But they do know the role the military plays in and around their lives.

Edit: I should add that my 20 yr old step son did try to join the Army (never even talked to me about it). He went to basic training in early 2005, but was sent home after a month. I've been soldiering for nearly a quarter century, I knew he wouldn't make it. I never told him this, but I did tell him the Army wouldn't ask him to do anything he couldn't already do.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:39 PM UTC
My son is twenty now ,he likes to watch BOB andSPR.I dont think he has any real interest in modelling but he does like certain vehicles the Tiger1and the IDF tanksbut I guess thats because of my interest.He does have strong views on the war on terror a bit too strong to put here,they include a B52.
Ego
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 02:41 PM UTC
All good stuff guys. I quite like my son being interested in my hobbie but I will try and apply a bit of moderation on his part (easier said then done) He actually came home from school today and said his teacher said he isn’t allowed to draw any army stuff at school anymore.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi Ethan

I see your comment:

"He actually came home from school today and said his teacher said he isn’t allowed to draw any army stuff at school anymore"

Mmm I think this is really sad that your son does not have the freedom to express himself freely at school.

None of my three boys have such a restriction at their school or home and I know they draw tanks, soldiers, planes etc at school.

Regards

Sean
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 07:12 PM UTC
My son got on a tear for awhile drawing tanks and planes with a liberal dose of swastikas thrown into the mix. While I appreciated his attention to detail, my wife and I had to caution him as to why drawing those on everything and anything, especially in public, would not a be good thing!

- Frank