_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
phils next train
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 03:35 PM UTC
hi all! and choo-choo! heres my next loco,brush painted and weathered to give it a patchy faded look. what i did was to spray on a thin coat of light grey in all the areas that dirt might collect, then a coat of black in the coal bunker with no masking, so the overspray looks like coal dust. i might have overdone it in parts, but i intend to spray on more green in a kind of pre shading type way

before

after
lampie
Visit this Community
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:45 PM UTC
Hi Phil!
Another choo choo nealy done :-)
Looks great and a good idea with the coal dust.
I still think you should combine this with your biplanes.A little diorama of a train passing an airfield with Tiger Moth trainer,,hint hint
Its all going a bit topsy turvy at the moment isnt it?,,Andy building targets,Mal finishing models every couple of weeks,,whatever next?
Must have been that heatwave a few weeks ago frazzled everyones remaining braincells
:-)
Job well done Phil!,,Your going to have your own little railway section at Telford
Nige
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 05:23 PM UTC
i have a stephensons rocket kit i'm thinking about starting later today, as a quick "fun" build. and its bright yellow, which will go nice with my current "brightly coloured kits" phase!
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 07:36 PM UTC
oh poo! i just got stuck into the rocket kit, and i seem to have lost a wheel from the tender, i'll contact dapol to try to scrounge another. on a brighter note i just tried to blow off the dust on the prairie, but it was what i'd painted on
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:03 PM UTC
That looks good Phil. I like the way you have weathered it, very realistic ( as you know by trying to dust it :-) ).
I hope you are going to bring these to Telford along with a section of track.
I have found a few of these kits on e/bay, so i might pick up the Biggin Hill loco, as Biggin Hill is just up the road from me.
Andy
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 11:24 PM UTC
go for it andy! these kits need a fair bit of cleaning up and tweaking, but you can build a really nice model out of them. you can get the dapol versions of these kits for around £7
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:27 PM UTC
This is looking good Phil, definately looks better for being weathered, IMHO I remember building the Rocket, about half a million years ago, the pistons worked and everything :-)
I'm afraid that you wont get me building any locos though, as I build them every day, at work
Mal
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is looking good Phil, definately looks better for being weathered, IMHO I remember building the Rocket, about half a million years ago, the pistons worked and everything :-)
I'm afraid that you wont get me building any locos though, as I build them every day, at work
Mal

you say that mal, but remember i paint stuff every day :-)
Removed by original poster on 10/01/06 - 13:59:11 (GMT).
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 12:06 PM UTC
finally! no its not quite finished but heres an update. i took these pics to show the work i've done replacing all the handrails, i just shaved off the kit part which was moulded on solid, leaving the end pieces that i fitted fine plastic rod to. i think this lifts the kit from looking a little bit toylike to being a proper model.
i also solved the problem with the rocket by simply buying another kit, so if the missing wheels do ever turn up i can build another!

_GOTOTOP