_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Zimmerit..Windsor and Newton Acrylic paste?
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 03:44 AM UTC
I am working on making zimmerit for my Dragon Elefant "premium" kit. I bought the cavalier set but I'm just not liking it so I'm trying to do it by hand.

I tried Squadron Green putty and it is drying in about minute which doesn't give me enough time to work it. I went hunting today at Hobby Lobby, Michaels and the LHS for Squadron White putty in the hope it doesn't dry as fast. No one had any.

While at Hobby Lobby, I did run across some Windsor and Newton Acrylic Modelling Paste. Do any of you guys (gals) here think it would work for zimmerit?

I was hoping I could use something local and move forward on my project instead of stopping for a few days waiting for delivery of something ordered over the internet.

Let me know what you think.

Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 05:14 AM UTC
Hi Brent,

I've not worked with Windsor & Newton's Acrylic paste but I would suggest using HL's 40% off coupon and experimenting. If it doesn't work out for making zimmerit it might come in handy for diorama building or something else.

As for Squadron's white putty, it performs like their green putty. It dries fast and grazes the plastic you apply it to. If you do end up having to order something, I'd suggest R&J's Zim-it-RIte. It is a two part putty that is water soluble and remains workable for about two hours or more. Their website is http://www.rjproducts.com .

Good luck!

Scott
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 06:38 AM UTC
Some of the modeling pastes ( Windsor and Newton Acrylic Modelling Paste?) have a slight grit to them making it difficult to create a 1:35 zimmerit.
I have also tryed the Windsor and Newton paint that goes on super thick and the artist is supposed to be able to 'sculpt' with this paint. Again, in 1:35 scale the paint actually 'settles' as it drys thus sort of rounding off the edges of the zim.
I suggest Magic Sculpt Putty or any 2 part putty. You have time to work it section at a time. It is water based and can be smoothed or removed with water before it sets. Great stuff, however I stopped doing my own Zim when Caviler introduced theirs!

Cheers,
Charles
 _GOTOTOP