Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Buried up to my neck!
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi to one and all,
Why is it that some modellers start one project after another and do not finish anything? Why can we not finish what we started? Are we too distaracted by the next new thing to drool over? Do we bore easily? Is out intelligence sufficiently stroked enough? How do we put up with partially started projects that pile up like dirty dishes? AND, why are there so many things that say to our wallets,"Buy me! I'll make IPMS gold wishes come true."?
Why cannot we simple men resist temptation and say, "One at a time!" Is there any hope? Can we mount that figure or build that vignette?
Well?
We need to have a new group, like AA. We can call it Sprue-cutters Anonymus. For all of us who do not know any better, or do we?
Pull your selves up by your thread spools and drop those side-cutters.

Make this pledge:
I promise to build one thing at a time.
I will resist temptation to open another box.
I will not, sneak anything else to do while my track is drying.
Resist the call of the Dragon website during a build.
And keep my other kits out of site.

This might help us poor unfortunates who may expire from this world before we ever get anything done. (but I doubt it.)

Good Luck- we'll need it as the kits get nicer and we SPEND! SPEND! SPEND!

Chris- an admitted non-finisher
airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 05:12 PM UTC
Chris

You stick to the pledge my friend .If you can manage it I`ll plait (Braid) Fog :-) :-) I`ve been trying to build one kit at a time for years.Next double methinks is Classics Anson & Trumpeters Wimpy.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hi Chris

I build one at a time to me its just a discipline thing I just cant mentally handle mutliple projects. I am not sure how others can do it. Maybe they cant thats they dont finish them.

I do use the next kit as motivation sometimes to get finished or use a campaign dealine.

Through modelling I have discovered I am a deadline kinda of person and I am going to use this technique to get more stuff finished.

Yes I have a small unmade kit collection but I have a self imposed price limit of $30.00. Hence I dont get the new stuff but I add it to my wish list.

I quess it aint an issue for me coz of self imposed discipline. It ot always easy but I usually stay on track.

Regards

Sean
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 08:33 PM UTC
A very good point Chris. But i do believe you answered your own question,

Quoted Text

we simple men

, enough said really :-) :-) .
Andy (who has several unfinished kits dotted around )
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:00 PM UTC
I have to admit that if I encounter serious problems with a kit I won't hesitate to shelve it. Life is too short...

Shaun
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:44 PM UTC
I usually have multiple projects in progress. An armor or two, a ship and sometimes an aircraft. The reason is that you will get to a point where you have down time before you can go further. Mainly at the painting stage where masking is required. I wait al least 3 days before masking. Another reason I will switch off is a repetitious task such as making 60 AAA guns from photo etch. I can make a few then go to another project for awhile and not get bored with the ship project. There are times when I hit a snag in construction that I do not have an immediate solution. Leaving it alone for awhile, working on something else, allows me to come back to the problem with a clear mind.

I do agree that having unfinished projects in the closet is self defeating.

My thoughts,
Don