Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
RegFor Transfer
Stabone
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
I'm a reservist in the Canadian military and I was considering a transfer to either RCR or PPCLI. Are reserve transfers welcomed to their new units or are they shunned because we are 'weekend warriors'? Also would any courses (e.g driver wheel, comms) come in handy? Any answers would be helpful. Thanks.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 01:15 PM UTC
It's not as simple as that. You enrol through the Recruiting Center as infantry and things develop from there. You might get a more complete response by posting your question in the newsgroup can.canadian.military
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 02:51 PM UTC
If you are considering going reg force make sure you know your poo-poo. The thing that really gets reg forces guys is when 'quick picks' come in and know nothing. Also don't come in acting like you know everything if you don't. Now I'm not saying quick picks are bad cause I know some guys who were reserveists and excelled here. On the same hand i know guys who went through battleschool and are complete idiots...especially the calibre of troops coming in now is very low. For courses the more you got the better, especially LAV orientated kinds ie gunner, driver. Biggest advice I can give is use your head. the reason we have a hard time with resevists is we do this full time on call 24/7, you do this as a part time job if you feel like showing up. Anyways, enough of my beaking, good luck on your choice. Oh and go with the Patricia's and stay away from the ChickenF**ckers :-) :-) VRI=Virtual Reality Infantry. Sorry RCR guys I had to get that jab in, I know you'd do the same.

Mike
Cpl 1PPCLI
Stabone
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:47 AM UTC
The admin deleted my last post because of the RCR/chicken comment. Thanks for your help, but I don't know how many light infantry reserve regiments offer armoured courses. (my location usually gets shafted for courses anyway)