_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Unusual source for tow cable
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 164 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:17 PM UTC
I work on commercial jets for a living as some of you know. While doing this I ran across a rather unusual source for armor tow cable. On some of the aircraft they use what's called pre-rolled safety wire. What's not used on the aircraft is trimed off and discarded. The average piece is about 5 to 6 inches long but I have picked up a couple of pieces that are about 2 feet long. They're stainlees steel and look just like 1/35th tow cable. Right now I have 4 pieces that are about a foot each. If anyone's interested all I need is postage and an address.
Jerry
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 03:27 PM UTC
Very cool. That's one thing about this hobby - you'll find yourself looking at evertyhing in at least two scales - 1:1 and whatever your popular scale is.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 03:49 PM UTC
Yeah Scott, I have a whole filing cabinet drawer full of "stuff" the maintenance department here was going to pitch, controllers full of little springs, timers full of little gears, etc. I just know I will use all that stuff sometime...

Shaun :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah Scott, I have a whole filing cabinet drawer full of "stuff" the maintenance department here was going to pitch, controllers full of little springs, timers full of little gears, etc. I just know I will use all that stuff sometime...

Shaun :-)

You have to watch out if the maintenance guys build also, they take the best for themselves..... :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP