_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
UK Model kits Prices
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 09:38 PM UTC
There have been many discussions on prices of Model kits in the UK, even though they don’t always start out as such.

Recently we have seen Dragon raising its prices, and IMHO rightly so, as they supply a very ‘full’ kit. As we in the UK, previously had rather high prices from Dragon’s ‘late’ supplier. Even with this sensitive point, the price escalation went through almost without a sound.

At the same time as this AFV Club released its Centurion, a very good kit by any stretch of the imagination. Obviously they had put a great deal of effort into this kit and although there are a few minor problems and the barrel glitch, it was quite well received.

What I have difficulty believing is the simple fact that this kit was almost £10 cheaper than its original price estimations of £32 and change. It’s cheaper than their AF35050 leFH18 10.5cm Howitzer and M88A1 Recovery Vehicle kits (of which a few are in my stash) AND nobody has said a word about the drop in price. How come?

Places such as Model Hobbies (and a few other sellers including a few from Ebay) are selling the AFV Club Centurion at around £20, buying the kit from a UK seller and not the ‘East’ (with me it’s usually visa versa) actually makes a bit more sense now.

Anyone actually know why AFV Club’s distributor dropped the price on this kit by so much? I believe it still would have sold at £30 odd.

PS: Tamiya’s re-issued Centurion Mk.III LTD EDITION is selling for £19.99, go figure!
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 943 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi Eric

I too was quite amazed at the price of AFv Clubs Centurion , to be honest I saw it in my LHS at £23.99 (with a further 10% of the marked price , my LHS seems to have been having a 10% off sale for years now LOL ) so I snapped it up thinking it had been miss-priced , half expecting when it was rung up on the till to show £29.99 :-)
I was intending to buy Tamiyas Char B and although it appears to be a great kit the price of £34.99 compared to the price of the Centurion was far too attractive to pass up.

How they can sell this great kit at such a price is beyond me so I too would be curious as to how this came about

Ian
 _GOTOTOP