Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
how can I find service history for a guy?
yeehah1
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
23-08-06
Hi guys.
I know it's not strictly a model related question, but who would Iask regarding finding hte service details of an indiviual? I want ot track the history a fella who served through World War 2 as a tank driver/ mechanic.

Who would i approach?
Thanks in advance
Liam
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:27 PM UTC
What country Liam?
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:47 PM UTC
For the British Army, the short answer is

This

and the longer answer is

This

Most of which doesn't just apply to Gunners. Hope this helps.

Service records aren't always a mine of information, my grandfather's for nearly 4 years service in the Canadian Army in WW1 was most interesting for the pay spreadsheets and contained very little information on what he did or where he went. It's most useful for working out which unit he belonged to, which will then have to be chased up, either via books or the National Archives at Kew.

David
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:53 PM UTC
Most regements have a web presence - if you know the regement this would be the best palce to start IMHO

Andy
yeehah1
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 07:33 PM UTC
23-08-06
Thanks for the quick reply.
The guy was English, lived in London. His name was Bill Kirkby and may have been with the 5th Royal Tank Regiment with the 7th Armoured Division. He landed in Normandy on D-Day+1, was apparently at Villiers Bocage, was with the 11th Armoured when they liberated Breslin.
It's all a bit confusing as he drove Cromwells and the Crocodiles.
He was either with the 11 th Armoured then or the 79th Armoured, but getting it narrower than that is proving difficult.

Thanks for the help.
Liam
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 727 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 08:47 PM UTC
I was told that I can't get access to my Uncles from WW2 which I found strange all I was trying to find out was a history of what units he was in so I could verify what I was told by relatives. This was the Canadian Army. Good luck with your search.

erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 07:09 AM UTC
Liam, it's quite a long winded process. I sent for my late grandfathers service records in the 90's from the Royal Marines. I had to send a copy of his death certificate, a letter from my grandmother and a copy of their marriage certificate. Gran was still alive at the time so it wasn't difficult getting hold of the documentation. It does however take quite a while for it all to come through and service records don't really tell you a great deal so be prepared to do a lot more digging afterwards.